Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo on High Mileage A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Turbo on High Mileage A4

i have a question that's been bugging me for a while, dont know why i havent asked yet. i have a high mileage B6 1.8TQMS (115k) and i've always wanted to upgradethe turbo, but i dont know if its worth it. my engine runs like a clock, i just have to change the coil packs. i've wanted to get a ko4 for the longest time, but i grew out of that. now i want a gtrs turbo kit so i can change my plates from YPY to EUROEVO. Whats your opinion? is it ok to get a big turbo upgrade at such a high mileage? any input is welcome.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Turbo on High Mileage A4

I think it's alright to go BT any any given mileage but you know that some parts in your car are probably going to break sooner or later anyway. Having the BT might speed up the "breaking down" of certain parts so be sure that you have some spare money to replace those other parts.

I wish you good luck with whatever you're deciding.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

what kind of parts are u referring to?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm make believe

your fine swapping turbos. If the engine runs strong, then its good to go.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

A bigger turbo runs an engine faster which like they said speeds up the life span expending on your engine.

If you spend money on a turbo you really should rebuild the engine. At least than you know for sure the engine is good to go.

There are a slewof things that could break. If you go all out, you could throw a rod, crack a cylinder, blow your head gasket, damage a valve, damage something in the tranny, ect.

Bigger turbo is a vague term, and a high mileage car is a vague term as well.

How big of a turbo? What is your Hp goal? Top speed gain? Response gain?

How many owners of the car and how did they treat the car? Was the car in any head on accidents? Has general maintenance been always kept up?

Rule of thumb I always follow, if you go bigboost on a high mileage engine; treat every part as tired and old or make sure it is up to par with your goal.

You really should have the engine rebuilt before thinking about doing BT. That way you know 100% for certain your car is intop condition. This is your calling to be a gearhead.

Deciding to raise boost on an already overclocked 1.8 engine, that now also has high mileage has a questionable result.

If this is your hobby than be proud to do it right and spend a couple of thousand to have it done right. In the end you are putting it in the shop before it puts itself in the shop.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm make believe

Thanks for a huge post of mis information

ORIGINAL: Jamie Q.

A bigger turbo runs an engine faster which like they said speeds up the life span expending on your engine. RPMS are RPMS. The pressure will also be basically the same.

If you spend money on a turbo you really should rebuild the engine. At least than you know for sure the engine is good to go.All he needs to do is run a compression test. If its good, no reason whatso ever to rebuild. From his assestment, he should be holding 170+ across all 4

There are a slewof things that could break. If you go all out, you could throw a rod, crack a cylinder, blow your head gasket, damage a valve, damage something in the tranny, ect. The stock rods are fine for the the turbo used. Never seen ANYONE crack a cylinder w/o a throwing a bearing or snapping a rod. Stock head gaskets are still in use on 700whp cars. The only valves to worry about are the exhaust, and thats not until 400whp. Also he wont run the car above 7-7.5k since there is no need. As for the tranny, all he needs is a clutch upgrade.

Bigger turbo is a vague term, and a high mileage car is a vague term as well. He said GTRS elim. Itsa gt28rs with a ko3 style turbine housing

How big of a turbo?^^ What is your Hp goal? most that turbo will produce is about 300awhp if pushed really hard Top speed gain? Thats gearing, not engine Response gain? ????

How many owners of the car and how did they treat the car? Was the car in any head on accidents? Has general maintenance been always kept up? That has littleto do with the turbo upgrade.

Rule of thumb I always follow, if you go bigboost on a high mileage engine; treat every part as tired and old or make sure it is up to par with your goal. The boost will be kept basically the same psi. The stock engine can more than handle it. You need to do more research

You really should have the engine rebuilt before thinking about doing BT. That way you know 100% for certain your car is intop condition. This is your calling to be a gearhead. Now your just repeating yourself and its not needed

Please do way more research before giving out bad advise

Old 01-19-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Damn cincyTT, if i was Jamie Q right now my butt would hurt a little, but i want to thank both of you for your input. I'm the second owner and since it was bought it was meticolously cared for, always doing preventive maintenance 10k before the due date, always used synthetic, and chipped it at 85k with APR stage I 91 Octane. i use the car as a daily driver, and i wonder what the mileage would be with a gt28rs eliminator kit. any ideea?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm make believe

the highway miles would be the same, the city would go down. Most BT people still see about 28-32mpg showing some restraint.

My only thing about a elim is that the ko3 flange is to small for running a turbo that big. Thats why the elims spool later and make less power. People on here dont seem to like it, but on vortex and i believe audizine like the gt2x. This is the biggest turbo, well maybe the gt28r elim (uses a gt25 turbine wheel, not available for the A4 i think) as the biggest turbo on the stock flange. Spool and power wont be effected. But if you dont mind the little extra lag or just a decent increase in power, its not a huge deal.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Nahh I don't feel butt hurt, he knows his **** and I can't argue that from seeing all his other his posts. It's good hear a stock Audi is built so well, I will take Cincy's advice and do more research. My real concern was the fact it is a high mileage car and you weren't the first owner. Have fun with the new turbo

Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm make believe

Just to let you know, i wasnt trying to be mean. Just trying to cut out incorrect info before it spreads [sm=smiley20.gif]