Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo for B5 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 04:40 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Turbo for B5 1.8t

I think a K04-15 kit from AWE will be perfect for you. Don't dick around with that TurboByGarrett kit; the programming is garbage, and it'll be more headaches than it's worth. Think of the K04 as the stock turbo+1. The stock turbo is literally called K03, and the K04 is basically a K03 but better.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Yuikio

I think a K04-15 kit from AWE will be perfect for you. Don't dick around with that TurboByGarrett kit; the programming is garbage, and it'll be more headaches than it's worth. Think of the K04 as the stock turbo+1. The stock turbo is literally called K03, and the K04 is basically a K03 but better.

u do know they are probly using GIAC programing because GIAC stands for Garrett Integrated Automotive Corp
so thats the same people making the programmin for the AWE K04 Kit

Old 01-06-2006, 05:04 AM
1st Gear

how much do all these new turbos cost (everything included)? my turbo doesnt make any noise and i think it might be crapping out on me.... let me know please!

Old 01-06-2006, 05:06 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: semperwasted

how much do all these new turbos cost (everything included)? my turbo doesnt make any noise and i think it might be crapping out on me.... let me know please!

its good that ur stock turbo doesnt make any noise but do u have any power loss or anything

Old 01-06-2006, 05:44 AM
1st Gear

i bought the car thinking the turbo wasn't functioning. i obviously dont know much about these things because my mechanic told me if it wasnt functioning the car would hardly be moving. i just thought turbos made a winding noise... ive heard it in other turbo cars, sometimes very loud. i dont feel a loss of power, but could the turbo be wearing itself out?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:00 AM

why would you sujest he go back with a stock turbo when he is looking for more power and the K03's from the dealers are crazy expensive and you can get a K04 with software and programming for cheaper

ORIGINAL: trailboss

Best bet is to replace it with the OEM k03, dealers will be expensive but look around i have one lying around but i dunno if you wanna pay shipping all the way to the down under.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:43 AM
4th Gear

Panda, Garret lim doesnt tune for garret turbos He tunes for Giac, i think your thinking there related.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: semperwasted

i bought the car thinking the turbo wasn't functioning. i obviously don't know much about these things because my mechanic told me if it wasnt functioning the car would hardly be moving.
I spoke to my mechanic again. The shaft between the exhaust turbine and the compressor is snapped. Turbo is stuffed.

Semperwasted - The car still moves. It just drives like a standard incredibly gutless 4 cylinder.

He has recommended the air research TO3 and says that it will give me about 300hp at the flywheel. He said that he would remove the solenoid that sets the variable turbo pressure and just set it to a flat boost of between 9 and 13psi.

He reckons that the standard injectors will still handle the fuel requirements and that I won't need to replace the exhaust system. It would be ideal to go to replace the standard 1 3/4 pipe with a 2 1/2 system. I am loathe to do this a) becuase of the added cost but also because it would substantially increase the noise of the car. One of the things I like about the A4 is the quietness and unobtrusiveness of the engine. Ironically, he said that the A4 engine is a very loud motor once the standard exhaust is removed.

I am waiting on a quote and comparison of the cost of installing a KO3 (he called it a KKK?) vs the air research.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I'll let you know how it all goes.
Cheers
Arb

Old 01-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Tech Slut

i have a b5 1.8t and just put a ko4 in her. if you go garrett, depending on the size of the housing, ur gonna need a ton of extra ****, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump recommended, chip, exhuast manifold, down pipe, diverter valve, cold air, just go with a smaller turbo kit or piece together a t3 or t4. anything else would be termites to ur bank account. unless u get real lucky and find a big kit for cheap, in which case let me no and ill get rid of the k04!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Administrator

u can always go with the K04 Eliminator Hardware Kits
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=VVWTK

Quick Reply: Turbo for B5 1.8t