Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Help Needed Again!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Help Needed Again!!

I have posted several times about my transmission problem that has been an ongoing issue with my Audi since I purchased it over a year ago. I absolutely love this car but I may say it has not treated me with the same care in return.

This past weekend I did a tranny fluid and filter replace in one last effort to resolve my inconsistent shifting issues along with minor slippage that occurs @ 2800 rpm. Fluid was a little dark with no major debris accumulation on the magnets; I was hoping for low fluid level in response to the issues but everything seemed normal. Scanned the tranny numerous times for codes; none other than the typical faulty brake light code. Trannsmission shifts and performs flaulessly in Tip mode but when switched to automatic it has a mind of its own. Tranny will run through the gears extremely quick at low speeds almost combining 2nd & 3rd gear to act like a CVT type style feel. When I need the power I have to really step on it in order for it to downshift, when it finally does downshift it doesn't hang high enough in the rpm/ powerband or long enough before upshifting. Torque converter does not seem to be applying itself between shifts, when it does frequently I can notice a 100% improvement in the tranny's response. When I do a tranny reset via vagcom car works absolutely great only returning back to it's normal behavior after a couple of miles.

My question is does anyone know the responsibilities of the transmission control module? I believe my problem is electronically related due to everything mechanically seems fine. Whatever initiates the torque converter in response to it's shift points I believe is the issue. My last ditch effort is to see if this is my problem before probably, eventually replacing the whole tranny. If I have a faulty TCM would that guarantee a fault code? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Transmission Help Needed Again!!

The more online research I do regarding this issue makes me believe that the stupid brake light switch (implausible signal DTC) is subject to blame for a lot of my tranny issues. Seems as though this faulty switch has more responsibilty then just relaying a hot lead back to your brake lights. I already replaced this switch once before but still continued to receive the DTC. I'm assuming this bad switch also has some relation to my cruise control that is also malfunctioning....?? Any ideas? Please!! I am desperate to get this thing right.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Site Moderator

Have you driven through any water heavy water? Are your sunroof drains clogged? Ever notice water/dampness in the passenger footwell? The module could be malfunctioning due to water. If the sunroof drains get clogged the water will run either out onto the headliner, or it will run down the A pillar down into the footwell - where the TCM is.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: SLVR99A4

The more online research I do regarding this issue makes me believe that the stupid brake light switch (implausible signal DTC) is subject to blame for a lot of my tranny issues. Seems as though this faulty switch has more responsibilty then just relaying a hot lead back to your brake lights.
I was under the impression that you can avoid throwing this code simply by pressing the brake pedal once before doing the scan.
1.) Turn key on
2.) press and release brake pedal
3.) scan for codes

YMMV!

Old 01-09-2008, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I have heard of this before and double checked everything. I even removed the TCU from the housing to check for water/ moisture damage and found no such evidence. I cannot say that there was no damage from a previous owner I just excluded this option being that I do have interface between vagcom and the TCU; its being recognized. I will be trying another used unit from a salvage yard to see if I get any positive results.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:34 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kendalll

ORIGINAL: SLVR99A4

The more online research I do regarding this issue makes me believe that the stupid brake light switch (implausible signal DTC) is subject to blame for a lot of my tranny issues. Seems as though this faulty switch has more responsibilty then just relaying a hot lead back to your brake lights.
I was under the impression that you can avoid throwing this code simply by pressing the brake pedal once before doing the scan.
1.) Turn key on
2.) press and release brake pedal
3.) scan for codes

YMMV!
Yes this will eliminate the DTC from posting prior to scanning but it will not eliminate the problem if its responsible for the issues I'm having. If I clear the code, drive for awhile and re-scan it will pop back up.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 AM
1st Gear

Bumped for compliance:

Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 AM
3rd Gear

I wish I could be of more help, but all I can say is that I also have that code, but none of the symptoms with my Tip that you have described. It's possible that that's a symptom of your problem, but it seems less likely since it's not causing me any of the same trouble. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
5th Gear

auditech79 has the answer. pm him

Old 01-11-2008, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Sineo and Highwords; I was hoping for a response from one of the moderators: Auditech, Onepointbee, David..?? I guess I'll have to pm them. I also posted over at Audizine but no luck there yet either. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Transmission Help Needed Again!!