Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Gone. Being Forced to sell.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Gone. Being Forced to sell.

So I take my 2000 1.8t for a checkup before I head off to my first semester of college and the dealership tells me the transmission is gone and with other parts and labor is going to cost $4900, which is $4900 too much for my dad and I to handle right now.We've asked the dealership to appraise it but i know they aren't goin to give me jackfor it. Its got just under 92200 miles on it and we are the second owners. I am devastated and will be given my sisters 96 TL for school....not a piece of crap but byt no means anA4. Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as what to do with it? Or even if anyone is interested in buyingit?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Default RE: Transmission Gone. Being Forced to sell.

I think it'd be worth having it towed to an independent mechanic and having it assessed there. I'd be willing to bet that they'd give you a quote for less than half of that 4900. best of luck to you, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

wait, so u brought it in for a checkup when nothing was acting up and all of a sudden your transmission is shot? thats a little sketchy...

Old 08-13-2007, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear

yeah sounds sketchy to me too... if i were you and if you dont need a car for school then i would deff just let the car sit while in school and try and save up as much as possible(trust me i kno its hard) then just fix the car on your winter break. if you need the car as a DD to school then i really dont know what to tell you. how bad is the tranny shot? does it still run? and its it a 5spd or auto?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear

also dont forget if your going away to school most schools dont let frosh have parkin spots so look into it, try not to get rid of a good car just cause of that.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

well the lower gears were catching a litte slow, so it i wouldnt say nothing was wrong, but i was shocked to hear that the entire transmission needed replacing.....and i've called around to a couple mechanics i trust but they dont know any independent mechanics that work, at least on a regular basis, on audis, and i dont want to give it to someone who doesnt know what they're doing.

and get this, the appraisal? yeah, they offered mea grand....maybe two if i was a good customer. please. im going to pick it up in a little bit. ill keep looking into the possibility of finding a mechanic but im doubtful because i get the feelin my dad wants to get rid of it anyways.....hes all about the dependable japanese cars. and yeah id like to keep it in the garage till i earned the money but i donno if that'll fly, due to continuing payments on insurance and what not.

this sucks.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

o and its automatic for those who asked

Old 08-13-2007, 04:50 PM
4th Gear

Find a Euro mechanic who can change the transmission fluid

with VW automatic transmission fluid or ESSO EGL 71141.

Pentosin also make auto trans fluid for our cars.

Also have the filter changed.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

1 - 2 grand? i got more than that for my 2000 intrepid with 200k on it! if ur gonna get rid of it, sell it, dont trade it

but i definitely think that mechanic is trying to jack u, it sounds like it needs service not replacement

Old 08-13-2007, 06:02 PM
4th Gear

Doesn't even sound like it needs much. Change the fluid and filter with VW specific fluid.

A real vagcom can run diagnostics on the solenoids to make sure that they are working.

Quick Reply: Transmission Gone. Being Forced to sell.