Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission is gone...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission is gone...

My transmission is out. I have a 2000 A4 1.8T quattro Tiptronic. When i drive it it wont change gears and i tried using the tiptronic and it wont shift up or down. How much am i looking at to get it fix. has anybody gone there tranny fix or replaced?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Transmission is gone...

Go have it scanned for transmission codes and see if it's anything. Could be something weird like that.

josh

Old 12-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

+1 to that. Use the diagnostic codes, if any, to narrow down the problem before you go looking into replacing the transmission.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

I will do that ASAP. if it is gone, i think i might have to sell the car or trade it in. would i be able to convert it to manual if i have to replace the tranny?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

If you're concerned about the cost of repair, then it's going to be beyond what you have available to spend to convert to manual - many more parts are needed. You can probably source a used tranny for a grand or a little under, and if you're mechanically inclined, you can swap it yourself. It's going to be some work for sure, but it's not beyond someone of even average skills provided you have access to a good set of tools.

If you try to sell the car, you'll probably not get much at all for it - most people would be dissuaded by the perceived cost of replacing a transmission in a premium German car. Better off to park it, buy a $400 beater to drive, and save up for the transmission.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:06 PM
4th Gear

It may be in LIMP mode. Are the numbers on the dash backlit? Could be a simple fix, could be something expensive. Don't know without the codes. Have someone with a real vagcom scan the transmission control module, write the codes and post them back.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

OK, here is the update. I took it to a mechanic and they scan the car and it came back with tranny slipping and coil pack codes. so i told them to just fix everything. They call me back the next day and said that my tranny wire harness was melted and that i need a new harness. The guy said that he rewired it but just for the tranny and that if i want he could rewire the complete harness to fix the issue. I ask him what have may cause it. he said that the rear-view mirror had a short. Does any body know how much is a harness? he said that audi dealer is charging $400-$500 and they only have 1 in canada. I am already spending $2700 to fix the tranny, all coil packs and couple of other things. what do you guys think? should i just purchase a new harness or have him rewired one.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 PM
5th Gear

def replace

Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear

I just rebuilt mine 3 monthes ago. My torque converter died. They had to replace a new torque converter.
cost me $2800 usd (almost 2 weeks of repair time)

my car's 02 A4 3.0 quatrro with only 6.6K miles.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Hey man, sorry to hear about the trans. Just had my trans completly done. I had a full rebuild and custom torque converter done. Total was 4800 installed. Pretty pricey but well worth it. The car doesnt jerk anymore and no more limp mode. Definatly get your converter upgraded though, they are known to fail. My car is an 03 1.8t. Also if the trans guy is qualified they can beef up your trans with diffrent clutch packs and "shift kit". What they do is groove out the valve body to better flow the trans fluid. If you have a questions just pm me. Also make sure you get a warrantly and notify them of your mods. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Transmission is gone...