Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Default transmission fluid help

I'm a girl who just bought a 99 Audi A-4 1.8T. It has already 120k and has 2 previous owners before. I checked the last one who has not done transmission fluid change in these 3 years. I have already quote about the service from different audi dealer. However, some of them said it needs to change every 8-10K miles and others said there is no requriment for the a definted interval. In addition, some of them said it also need to change the filter at the same time, but others said it doesn't.

Since the service is very expensive, $420. I want to know which one's word is correct? Do I need to do this service? Does it include filter change? Where can I get a cheaper place to do it?

Appreciate your help very much!

Tracy

Old 10-12-2006, 08:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: transmission fluid help

What year? What engine? I assume you have an automatic...

Old 10-12-2006, 09:12 PM
4th Gear

I have 112K mi. and haven't changed the transmission fluid. Wait until you notice a change
in the shifting.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear

I have seen some other posts on tranny fluid. See what a search digs up.

I have heard about the tranny fluid being lifetime and I have also heard some crap about having to change it every 30k, etc.

I believe the differentials are what are filled for life, though I don't think it would hurt if they were changed.

As far as I know, you should change it around 80k - 100k miles. I didn't feel like screwing with it and had a local shop do it for $200. The correct oil to use is 75W90 full synthetic. Make sure they put the right stuff in. Don't skimp, get the synthetic.

I figure, you really only have to change it once in the cars lifetime. Do it now and you won't have to worry about doing it again.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 AM
4th Gear

The tiptronic if you don't have a manual is "filled for life", but I "drain and fill" the pan every 60K miles. This changes out about 2.7 Quarts of fluid (about 1/3 of the entire drain). This costs about 60-70 dollars at an independent mechanic who deals with Audi and VW.

I would also have the differential gear oil changed. If you have quattro this would be the front center and rear differentials. This would cost about an additional 100 dollars.

all this can be done by a good mechanic who specializes in Audi or VW (not your local neighborhood garage). Dealerships charge premium Plus pricing.