Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny issue...?i think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear
Default tranny issue...?i think?

1st off 99.5 a4...1.8t quattro..manual....chipped....exhaust..

so i changed my clutch about a month ago...felt great at first and now it really is kind of hard to put it in first gear and to go from 1st to 2nd when driving..like i cant do it quickly.....and it seems to be getting worse.....everything else goes normal...even downshifting into 2nd...and eventually into 1st when rolling really slow like at a stopsign or something.....

i changed my tranny fluid sunday..but that didnt help either

it seems really hit or miss..sometimes itll go in real easy and sometimes its like there is some sort of resistance...no grinding and the rpms dont move at all....but like something is blocking 1st gear and kind of on second...

i was testing leaving work today adn if i put the clutch in and jam it into first and shift 1 2 3 4 5 4 3 2 1 r (sitting still)....it goes fine if i keep the clutch down the whole time...as soon as i let off the clutch and then put the clutch back in...its like it resets itself to being a pain...

any ideas? i was thinking maybe i bent the shift linkagee unknowingly when putting the tranny back in?

anyways..if it matters...southbend stage 2 clutch and pressure plate....and a clutchmaster LW flywheel...

thanks...any ideas greatly appreciated

Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: tranny issue...?i think?

how’s your stick? is it loose?... had similar problem, i just tightened few bolts under the car and it helped a lot…

Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

it feels fairly normal....but what bolts did you tighten up? ill try anything.... this is getting rediculous.....

Old 11-03-2007, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

ok its been a while since i posted this but i finally put the car up on stands and crawled under there....everything was tight and nothing seemed out of sorts...so i went inside..pulled off the boot and started messing around....

disclaimer: im not a mechanic so what im calling things is most likely wrong....(things in quotations are questionable names)

so...when i pull of the boot ... i can see this bolt...at the bottom of the "shifter rod"...hitting the side of the "tunnel" which is why i believe im having so much trouble with first and second...

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...78066703ZbJIdl

the word "bigger" in this picture is supposed to be "bugger"

now i undid the 2 bolts (one in front of and one behind the shifter)...adn was able to slide the whole unit side to side...i was able to slide it towards the driver side about 1/4 inch and then shifting was smooth and quiet...BUT when i tighten the bolts town...no matter how hard i try to hold it in position...it slides back to where it was.....

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...8066703BPxwGf]

any ideas? hope the pictures help....if anyone needs any more let me know.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Site Moderator

Your having problems with your synchros not your shift linkage, un-less you left the allan bolt on top of the tranny really damn loose its an internal problem. Especially if its only from 1-2 gears.
Thats the reason its easy to shift gears sitting still, the worn out synchro isn't moving.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

sorry i cant seem to get the pictures to work ... still working on that.....

the only bolts i remeber undoing was the allan bolt where the one rod connected to the side of the transmission and that is tight and then the hex bolt that connect the shifter to the rod coming out of the transmission....i hope i described that someone reasonable...if i can figure out pictires ill put one of that on too,.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...78066703vEpNvx

^^^^^^those are the only 2 bolts i undid when taking the transmission out...

if its a synchro...how badly am i screwed?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah if you got those two bolts tight to the transmission then its internal,
you're gonna need a re-build somewhere down the road, you can probably still drive on a bad synchro for quite a while, you'll know when it gives out LOL.
A re-build usually costs around $1500-$2000 for a 5 speed.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

NOOOOO...worst day ever...i broke my windshield today too.....

Old 11-03-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

i know im probably stupid for asking this...but....would iHAVE to get the whole transmission rebuilt or could i just have these synchros replaced?...

Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Site Moderator

The re-build kit is dirt cheap, its the 10+ of labor that kills you. To buy the entire tranny re-build kit probably only costs around $100-$200

Quick Reply: tranny issue...?i think?