Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque specs for timing belt/water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Torque specs for timing belt/water pump?

None of the places that i've looked have any tq specs for any of the stuff!!! Can someone help me out? Particularly on the water pump.. I know those gaskets need a specific amount of pressure to seal..

Thanks
Andrew

Old 04-07-2007, 05:01 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Torque specs for timing belt/water pump?

This is amazing.. does no one ever do their own work??

I tq'd them down to about 15-20lbs. If it leaks... i'll fix it, but its going into aluminum, and the gasket needs some wiggle room, not squished all the way out..

Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Andyrew

This is amazing.. does no one ever do their own work??

I tq'd them down to about 15-20lbs. If it leaks... i'll fix it, but its going into aluminum, and the gasket needs some wiggle room, not squished all the way out..
This is Amazing.

You think we sit here all night waiting for your questions like some free wikipedia which will give you your answer within two hours and 8 minutes.

Chill !
I guess the urgency was that you are in the middle of doing it. I guess the answer is to make sure you have all the parts and information you need before you start the job. If you still need the information, I can look it up.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:54 PM
4th Gear

LOL, yeah, most of us do our own work.
You should have a bently or haynes handy while doing a job like this, so you dont have to wait for an answer. actually, I would never attampt something like t-belt without a manual handy.

According to my haynes, the water pump bolts are torqued to 84in-lbs, or 10nm. So, you are a little tight at 15-20lbs.
I saw this last night, but was to lazy to go out in the freezing garage and get my manual.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:31 AM
1st Gear

I actually tqed them to about 10 lbs..

BUT sadly I did something wrong, I dont know. Whatever the **** it is... but im leaking around my water pump, by the bolts. Was I suposed to put any silicone around the bolts? It wasnt in the instructions...

Sorry, but im pissed now... I spent all day picking up some Rs4 wheels with new tires up, Bolted them up when I got home, finished the install and filled my system up, went for a drive to get the thermostat to open, drove home quickly, checked for leaks, and.... made my good day a crappy week.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:46 AM
4th Gear

Did you put the new gasket on?
Did you clean the surface where the housing mounts to the block?
They say to use a little silicone to hold the gasket in place while installing it, but Its not 100% necessary.
10lbs is tighter than it needs to be, so I dont think its the torque spec, its got to be something else.
And, are you 100% sure thats where its leaking from, cause its kind of hard to tell if the car is all together.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

New gasket is in, surfaces cleaned properly, old gasket scraped off, remains cleaned with brake cleaner, No silicone used..

The thing is I couldnt get a tq wrench on the bottom left bolt, so I used a wrench comparing tq with another bolt.

I know its possible to squeeze the gasket out, and im pretty sure I didnt....
The thermostat housing was completly dry, the drain was wet, but the bottom bolt on the water pump was completly wet..

The odd thing was, I started the car up to check for leaks... Nothing.. then I drove it around toget it hot/ open the thermostatso that I could get rid of the air in the system and the temp shot right up to the middle (like it should) and I came home really quick (I was doing laps around my block.. lol) and looked underneath and it was dripping... Fin a...

Andrew