Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Low! RS4 Bumper Keeps Getting Trashed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:59 AM
1st Gear
Default Too Low! RS4 Bumper Keeps Getting Trashed!

Hey guys,

I've come to the realization that my car is just too low to let my RS4 bumper keep getting trashed. As carefully as I drive, I scrape everywhere and fiberglass gets shredded all too easily. So I'm looking for some suggestions. Is a stock bumper that much higher off the ground if I go back? Is there any kind of skid plate or anything along those lines I could buy or have made (I like the look of the bumper). Or are there any other aftermarket bumpers that aren't so low? I'm just tired of having to be so careful and still grinding all the time.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 03:04 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Too Low! RS4 Bumper Keeps Getting Trashed!

On my first DSM I had the blitz bumper that I had to make a custom 20ga slider under. Look under the bumper and see where it scrapes then add the 20ga strips. It stops the damage to the bumper BUT it is louder when you drag it....lol

Old 11-08-2006, 03:05 AM
1st Gear

where'd u get the oem rs4 bumper?

im shure u can conjure up sumthin of the sort for cheap

Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

Beer mod, thanks. I'll just crank up the stereo so I can't hear when I'm grinding (what I do already). But I'm not sure this will really solve the issue because the damage occurs not just on the bottom but now on the whole lower lip. The car is literally only a couple of inches off the floor. Wish I had coil-overs instead of springs. Is there any way to apply a tactic like the 20ga strips around the entire lower lip?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Quarter106

where'd u get the oem rs4 bumper?

im shure u can conjure up sumthin of the sort for cheap
If it's fiberglass it aint oem.........

Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 AM
1st Gear

I never said it was. Came with the car. But I didn't know OEM RS4 wasn't fiberglass. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:19 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: silver_bullet

Beer mod, thanks. I'll just crank up the stereo so I can't hear when I'm grinding (what I do already). But I'm not sure this will really solve the issue because the damage occurs not just on the bottom but now on the whole lower lip. The car is literally only a couple of inches off the floor. Wish I had coil-overs instead of springs. Is there any way to apply a tactic like the 20ga strips around the entire lower lip?

Thanks
I didn't have that problem so IDK, however if you sell the springs and get c/o's the problem will stop The best thing to do is to buy urithane <---sp because it will flex just like oem.....

Old 11-08-2006, 04:14 AM
5th Gear

yea fiberglass sucks ureathane is the best bet

Old 11-08-2006, 05:38 PM
4th Gear

Watch what the hell you are doing so you dont scrape sh*T!!

**** mine is low as hell, so is the front of my 300zx, you just have to keep your head out of the clouds so you dont run in to stuff.

or get some coilovers and jack it up.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Beer Mod

On my first DSM I had the blitz bumper that I had to make a custom 20ga slider under. Look under the bumper and see where it scrapes then add the 20ga strips. It stops the damage to the bumper BUT it is louder when you drag it....lol
The stainless should hold up well. You could also try some type of plastic instead and it wouldn't be as lound when you hit. I was thinking you could use polycarbonate which is pretty tough stuff. You can buy a big sheet and cut it to match your bumper and lip underneath. You wouldn't see it. You can get it pretty cheap too. Go to McMaster.com and search for part number 8574K63

Both 20GA stainless or some type of plastic will be faily bendy, so you can make it match the contour of the underside of your bumper. You can put nice hard bends in both as well if you want to form it around the lower part of the bumper a little better. The SS will just bend, the polycarb may require heating with a torch.

Little skid plates, no matter what the material are only to keep the bumper from getting scraped up. If you hit it hard enough you will wreck the bumper anyway. The real solution is to go get those coilovers.