Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic vs. fully auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Tiptronic vs. fully auto

ORIGINAL: Dave666

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Well when you put it into auto, and put your foot down... is it downshifting? Do you feel it shift, and watch as your revs shoot up?

You have to drive tiptronic like a manual... meaning manual downshifts. You want to be at at least 3000 RPM to make any power.
Yes this is true.
I have found the tip in the audi better then infinity and MB .
You guys have obviously never drivin a manual. Like headshok said , you need to have the rpm's at at least 3k to get going.
5th on the highway in tip mode will not get you going. use 4th to pass etc ..
I use my tip all the time and cant stand that auto mode (I am getting a manual).
you guys must be stock that why you find no improvement in tip mode. because there is simply no power

I've had two manuals, so in response, I have drove them before and I know that they are much better than the tiptronic. I don't understand why the Audis jump to 2nd gear the minute you touch the gas. I have driven a lot of cars with the tiptronic and I personally find Audis to not be as much fun to drive.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

miked: my mods are giac ecu upgrade, borla cat back exhaust, techtonics high flow cat, tip chip. For my next upgrade, the k04 should work out nicely? Should I get an FMIC also?

Old 11-05-2005, 04:53 AM
5th Gear

You have the tipchip and it still sucks? that licks...

I don't think the K04 requires a front mount... well it clearly doesnt... but they are pretty slick looking! always something you can add later if you are short on funds...

Old 11-05-2005, 12:05 PM
4th Gear

The whole idea of the tip, is that it allows YOU to control when you shift gears and you have to move the gear shifter . If the car is slow accelerating, it is because YOU, the driver, have not put the car in the proper gear. If you are in 5th, no car will accelerate quickly. Downshift and tromp on the gas and you will move forward.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

i use my tiptron all the time and i have to say its the next best thing next to manual, and u guys are deffinatly using it wrong if ur car is not faster in this mode. i even proved this at the track, did a few runs in fully auto and did some in tiptron and tiptrom times were much better.

Old 11-05-2005, 01:36 PM
1st Gear

Agreed^, I love my tiptronic, it's so much fun. If you use it right, tiptronic is much faster than automatic.

Old 11-05-2005, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: cary12

ORIGINAL: Dave666

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Well when you put it into auto, and put your foot down... is it downshifting? Do you feel it shift, and watch as your revs shoot up?

You have to drive tiptronic like a manual... meaning manual downshifts. You want to be at at least 3000 RPM to make any power.
Yes this is true.
I have found the tip in the audi better then infinity and MB .
You guys have obviously never drivin a manual. Like headshok said , you need to have the rpm's at at least 3k to get going.
5th on the highway in tip mode will not get you going. use 4th to pass etc ..
I use my tip all the time and cant stand that auto mode (I am getting a manual).
you guys must be stock that why you find no improvement in tip mode. because there is simply no power

I've had two manuals, so in response, I have drove them before and I know that they are much better than the tiptronic. I don't understand why the Audis jump to 2nd gear the minute you touch the gas. I have driven a lot of cars with the tiptronic and I personally find Audis to not be as much fun to drive.
I dont know what kinda tip yo uare driving cause I redline my 1st gear in tip 24/7 The tip mode is good because you have control of your RPM's like a manual. Just no clutching , launching etc..

Old 11-05-2005, 03:57 PM
3rd Gear

Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

grr, another tiptronic bashing thread...what ignorance!!!

i love my tiptronic, and it does give you a good idea of what driving a manual is like because you have to learn to watch and feel rpms unlike straight-up auto.
if you live in heavy traffic areas as i do, owning a manual car is simply a major inconvenience.

also, shifting yourself makes you wanna go faster...which is good, except most of us don't live in germany where we can hop on the autobahn and drive our cars like they
are meant to be driven. tiptronic likewise, definitely makes me want to go faster because i am controlling the shifts. the fact that shifting in tip is a little mushy really doesn't bother me, cause it's already more than fast enough. i say this alot, but the a4 is NOT the fastest car on the road. i really feel like sometimes people think that a stock a4 is suppved to be a fast car. off the line it is awful and once it gets going and the turbo spools it's actually pretty quick, but it is by no means neck-snapping.

recently, i have started shifting into S-sport mode also (on my '02 a4) and it is surprising how much quicker the car is than D-drive.. so i now switch between
sport mode and tiptronic. can't believe it took me so long to discover the goodness of Sport mode.

i know that audi improved the tiptronic greatly for later models, the b6 is better than the b5 and the b7 is better than the b6. i never drove a 2001, so i am not sure just how much worse it feels than in an '02.

don't bash tiptronic.

it will be sweet to have the s4 with tiptronic, i'm just gonna be getting into a lot more trouble.

Old 11-05-2005, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

I'm going to take mine out today and mess around with it. I will master the tiptronic! LOL.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic vs. fully auto