Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic vs. fully auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 09:48 PM
1st Gear
Default Tiptronic vs. fully auto

I have a '99 A4 1.8T tiptronic tranny. I usually drive in full auto mode, but today I tried out the tiptronic mode, and seems like when I am in the tiptronic mode the car has much reduced power. On the highway in 5th gear, I switched to the tiptronic mode, and pressed the gas to the floor - the car accelerated very slowly, but as soon as I changed to fully auto, the car shot forward and accelerated rapidly like it normally would. Is this normal/expected? For mods, I have the giac ecu upgrade, borla exhaust, tip chip.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Tiptronic vs. fully auto

no when your in AUTO mode the car downshifts for you so u can accelerate faster
when in tip mode the car wont down shift unless you press the pedal all the way down
you were goin slow cause you were in 5th gear

Old 11-04-2005, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

I've had the tiptronic in a couple other cars and Audi's is by far the worst. I hate how the car will shift right away into second gear when it's on manual. The manual is for when you want to drive the car the way you want to. So why does it shift for you? I just leave it on automatic. One of the only downs of my car.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

Even when I was in 2nd gear, I stomped on the gas, and the acceleration felt weak when I was in tiptronic mode. I changed to auto mode to compare, and the difference was pretty big.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 PM
3rd Gear

Mine is the exact same way. There is no response with the tiptronic. Even my Volvo was fun to drive when it was in manual.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:20 PM
5th Gear

Well when you put it into auto, and put your foot down... is it downshifting? Do you feel it shift, and watch as your revs shoot up?

You have to drive tiptronic like a manual... meaning manual downshifts. You want to be at at least 3000 RPM to make any power.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: headshok2002

Well when you put it into auto, and put your foot down... is it downshifting? Do you feel it shift, and watch as your revs shoot up?

You have to drive tiptronic like a manual... meaning manual downshifts. You want to be at at least 3000 RPM to make any power.
Yes this is true.
I have found the tip in the audi better then infinity and MB .
You guys have obviously never drivin a manual. Like headshok said , you need to have the rpm's at at least 3k to get going.
5th on the highway in tip mode will not get you going. use 4th to pass etc ..
I use my tip all the time and cant stand that auto mode (I am getting a manual).
you guys must be stock that why you find no improvement in tip mode. because there is simply no power

Old 11-04-2005, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Yes, in auto, it does downshift, never driven a manual before. Dave666: I am certainly not stock

Old 11-04-2005, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: tontod

Yes, in auto, it does downshift, never driven a manual before. Dave666: I am certainly not stock
When it downshifts in auto, it is gonna put you at the right rpm range to make the power you want. if you try to punch it at ~2k you won't get any power. Downshift in tip mode and then punch it, see how it works there. You should drive a manual sometime, btw. What mods do you have... " I am certainly not stock "

Old 11-04-2005, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear

You really should drive a manuloa before you wanna try to drive a car in tip... You get a good feeling for when to shift, and what gear to be in. I've driven sticks since i first started driving, and the A4 was my 2nd auto, (after the merc)... manulas are best for hooning, autos for chilled out driving...

Quick Reply: Tiptronic vs. fully auto