Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Vrs Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:55 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Tiptronic Vs Manual

ORIGINAL: davec

haha im done for now all questioned out ill get some more info on the cars but is 8.5k worth it for a 2001 a4 1.8t FWD? with about 97k miles and a rebuilt head?
Yeah thats the going rate i guess... Well maybe a little less. I got my 2000 1.8t FWD with 72k miles for 8900. I am a very please 1.8t FWD owner. Quattro is a bonus for sure though.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:07 AM
1st Gear

so do u drive the FWD alot? is it also tiptronic? how is the handling on it?

Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 AM
Site Moderator

so do u drive the FWD alot? is it also tiptronic? how is the handling on it?
Yeah its tiptronic.. It handles great. I have summer only tires on it right now so in this cold weather it probably doesnt handle as well as it should. Quattro is going to handle better, but if youve never dirven it youll never miss it. With a chip, i cant just floor it from a stop without losing lots of traction, but again that may be partly due to the tires. In summer they are great. I dont lose a whole lot of traction. With it being an auto, it is rewarding to be able to squeel the tires going into 3rd. I look at it like this: Its more parts to go wrong/replace... But, it would be nice to have for winter conditions and just to say "i have the best all wheel drive system made."-because it really is. You will have a little less power to the ground with quattro than fwd, like 15% less from what ive read, but i dunno for sure. Im more all about the engine and style of the ride. Quattro is a good status to have as an Audi owner, and most of the a4's ive seen have it. I dont feel like im missing out tooooo much though.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:30 AM
1st Gear

Has anything gone wrong with ur car since u got it? The car has brand new tires on it and stuff so i should be good once the weather clears up.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:36 AM
Site Moderator

Has anything gone wrong with ur car since u got it? The car has brand new tires on it and stuff so i should be good once the weather clears up.
Nothing has gone wrong. I replaced my rear rotors/pads/bearing because they needed it and thats just regular maintnance. Did timing belt/belts/water pump/thermostat/ as normal maint... changed oil.. Nothing has gone wrong at all. So far its very reliable.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:51 AM
1st Gear

I ALWAYS keep my tip in manual overdrive and shift w/ the gear or with the toggles on the steering column..more responsive than leaving it in plain ol' auto. Stock 0-60 times for a 6spd B6 3.0 is 7.0, 7.7 for the tip, so there's a little difference overall. But I can definitely shift quicker in manual overdrive than just leaving in D.

For heavier mods yes you want a 5/6speed..they're a lot of fun. The tip is fun when in man overdrive, and easy in auto when in heavy traffic like others said. Plus if you're drunk and someone drives your car home for you and they don't know sticks they know what to do..

Dont get the FWD..get quattro..TOTALLY WORTH IT..no doubt about it!

Old 01-17-2006, 04:03 AM
1st Gear

ya well see ill prob get this FWD for now and then get a quattro in a year or so im getting a hell of a deal on it so im probably gonna go for it. ha ya alot of people dont know how to drive sticks like u said. thnx for the info greatly appreciate it and everyone that helped

Old 01-17-2006, 04:26 AM
1st Gear

If the car has new tires... I would check out the suspension very carefully.
Got my car with 4 new tires... owner said he had the suspension checked at the dealer due to noise but it check out (meaning they are too stupid to find it or he didn't want to repair it).
anyway... I found out later on that the inner bushing for the lower front right control arm is bad (really really bad).
it would hav cost me a few hundred at a local shop and 2 or 3 times more at the dealer.
but i got the part for 35 at the dealer and had to spend a morning replacing the bushing.
Gotta go do the alignment later on though.

Just be careful... sometimes... a new set of tires is not worth it... I would rather buy a car with tires in good condition.

Old 01-17-2006, 04:35 AM
1st Gear

haha thnx the guy im buying it from is a family friend with a shop so if anything goes wrong with im sure hell fix it

Old 01-17-2006, 05:06 AM
Banned

i just purchased a 99 tip quattro and so far am skeptical..im used to manual driving myself and kind of wish i would have waited for a manual to come along, but oh well i got a great deal and the car only had 63k on it. we'll see how much better i like it when my giac ecu comes in.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Vrs Manual