Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tiptronic trans question, potential problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default tiptronic trans question, potential problem?

2.8 quattro tiptronic: When accelerating moderately after the car shifts from 2nd into third the following happens, and it doesn't matter if i manually shift it or let the computer do it. It will shift into third gear, the revs will drop all the way to where they should be, it will start to accelerate strong, then the revs will go down like 250rpm and then it will accelerate strongly again. During the dive in RPMS it still accelerates, just not as quickly. It is almost like third gear has another mini-gear in itself, if that makes sense. I've driven cars with slipping trannies and this one doesn't seem to slip. The car does the same thing if it is floored, but only for 250rpms or so(according to the factory tach). The trans does not do this in any other gear.

Also, does this car have a built in safety feature that limits the amount of gas you can give it in reverse initially? If i give it a decent amount of throttle in reverse, it lurches backwards, then goes slowly, and only starts to really scoot if i mash the gas all the way. It is not slipping what-so-ever in reverse, if that helps, thats why i thought maybe it was a built in feature.
Thanks,
Ryan

Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: tiptronic trans question, potential problem?

Happens to me and others too man. For me its only right after it goes into second, like after a turn, after you get back into the gas, it will go, then subtilely drop 100-200 rpms (while still accelerating) and then resume as normal. All in about 2 seconds time, and only when driving normal. If I mash the gas it doesnt happen. But I know what youre talking about, others have mentioned it before, and there is no known reason. Makes no sense. Live with it. Even after I changed my fluid/filter it does it. Barely noticeable and no big deal for me. Dont know about the reverse thing.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the quick reply. I am releived to here it isn't an early sign of transmission failure, those puppies arent cheap to replace! On a side note, i read alot of consumer reports about how unreliable these cars are, and then i read on free public forums DIY's on how to fix almost everythign people are complaining about. The great thing about german engineering is that unlike japanese or domestics, many broken parts can actually be fixed and not replaced. I'm looking forward to owning this car, it makes me feel like a million bucks sitting behind the wheel.....

Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Site Moderator

Yup. Any bad reviews were given by rich ignorant fools who dont know **** about cars. People like that get taken advantage of, and honesly should. There are lots of examples of people with $10 problems who end up spending hundredsto get fixed elsewhere.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Hmm - haven't noticed this on mine. I'll take a look tonite to see if it does it. I have a Tip-chip on the way, so if it does do it, i'll see if the Tip-chip doesn't rectify the situation.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
4th Gear

Whats the mileage on the car? Anyone else notice that the reverse gear is really short on the tip trans?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Site Moderator

The reverse gear is retarded on the tip trans, the gear and clutch pack is freaking tiny, you'll be lucky to go 15 mph in reverse. A lot of people that buy the cars used complain about this same thing, it has something to do with the programming of the TCM, we really don't have a fix for it.
I do hear that people with a tip chip seem to have a lot less problems with this however, on the newer cars it has the S option which keeps the tranny in gear almost until redline which is cool. [8D]

Old 09-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Site Moderator

Ah yes - the 3rd gear flat spot. Nothing can be done with it - totally normal and annoying with the tip tranny...

Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Miles are 109k. i also noticed what i thought to it flairing when shifting into 4th gear, but i haven't been able to duplicate it since it did it twice this morning. From what i understand, these transmissions just have "character", and it does not mean immeninent failure when they do these little odd annoyances, correct?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah tip tranny is like that annoying bitch g/f you had back in the day and the only reason you stayed with her was because of her hot body.

Quick Reply: tiptronic trans question, potential problem?