Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic shift issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Tiptronic shift issue

My A4 Avant seems to shift twice in second gear. When I put it in second, it begins to accelerate, then seems to shift a second time while still in second. RPM's drop and then pick up again.
Only does this in 2nd
Any suggestions as to what this is?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:12 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Tiptronic shift issue

i think its a just a delay, casue tips change gears really slowly
do u let go of the gas when u shift

Old 11-21-2006, 04:30 AM
Site Moderator

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Its a very good question. Not a delay... I think it has to do with the tq converter locking up a little too soon and then when you give it more gas it lets go like it is shifting up again. I seem to only notice this on turns in tip mode when i manually switch from 3rd to 2nd gear and not driving aggressive... Sound familiar???

Old 11-21-2006, 10:35 AM
1st Gear

get it fixed with a chip* that's what i did

Old 11-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: eurokid

get it fixed with a chip* that's what i did
WTF are you talking about??? An engine chip, or a tip chip??? I dont see how either would be a solution. Its not even a problem for me, its only during light acceleration, for me at least...

Old 11-21-2006, 01:06 PM
4th Gear

Good Job at giving random ansewers Eurokid

Old 11-21-2006, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

I think I know what you're talking about. It happens to me also, only in 2nd gear.

For instance, if I do a rolling stop at a stop sign (in Tip mode, not automatic) and leave it in 2nd gear.....so I'll be at 5mph in 2nd gear....as I accelerate, right around 2.5K RPMs, the revs will drop off suddenly, about down to 1K, then climb back up through 2nd gear.

If this is the case, it's definitely not just you.

RLGarage, do you have a 1.8T or a 2.8 V6?

If you have a V6, this could this the "dead spot" that all the V6 people complain about. I thought it had to do with torque a little higher in the gear, but I could be wrong...never had a great understanding of the "dead spot" people referred to. But from what I understand, the "dead spot" is one of the few things that the GIAC engine chip (ECU) will improve with our engines. (aside from 5-8 HP, and removing the rev limiter).

Old 11-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Site Moderator

^ Your description sounds a little more exagerated than mine. Mine may drop a couple hundred rpms and then make its way back up, but same gear and speed etc. and its only when im coming to a rolling stop and then get back on the gas at low speed, like in a turn. And only if im lightly gasing it. If I press the gas down 1/2 way after i complete the turn it doesnt do it.
I think the dead spot issue people have with the 2.8 happens mostly around 3k rpms.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:51 PM
4th Gear

Ohhh god, Onepoint8tee you dont drive auto do you..?

Old 11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Amze

Ohhh god, Onepoint8tee you dont drive auto do you..?
Yes, I blame it on my wife. It's her car too and she can't/won't drive manual. Gotta make sacrifices sometimes.[:@] Its not that bad though. At least its tiptronic and not full blown automatic.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic shift issue