Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tinting taillights

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: tinting taillights

zach, is sanding off the DOT stuff necessary, because if I can I'd rather leave it on. I tinted my old taillights and I've had cops look at them for the DOT approval thing. If its gone, they can give me a fix-it ticket and I wouldn't be able to swap them out without buying a another set. If you have some pics of cars with niteshades and without the clearcoat that would awesome, Ive only seen spray-tinted tails with clear coats, and I don't want to put a clear coat on.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:44 AM
2nd Gear

ok, i just finished my tails today, and i'm extremely disappointed. i prepped em right, i wet-sanded them a hundred times, i put a thousand coats of tint on, and i even used a clear coat, and it looks like crap. it's got a maroon color to it, not black, and i used two cans of tint spray. i'm not an amatuer when it comes to painting, so i know i didn't mess up that part. i'll post pics when i get my camera back after the weekend. i'm never spray tinting my taillights again....i don't recommend it for anyone, even if you do it the "right way"

Old 02-18-2005, 02:06 AM
6th Gear

any pics?

Old 03-02-2005, 06:06 PM
2nd Gear

sorry it took so long....i was gonna clean her up a little before i took pics, but whatever, here she is, filthy as all hell.

here's one with the flash, the reflectors still work!

Old 03-02-2005, 06:15 PM
4th Gear

those look great to me!
don't see the maroon colour... but definatly expect a dark ruby colour in tinting dude. You have light entering the lense, then reflecting off the housing and coming to you through a red lense first... then a dark grey lense. It's like mixing paint. IMO, it look great, nice work!

Old 03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: BFlan2001

ok, i just finished my tails today, and i'm extremely disappointed. i prepped em right, i wet-sanded them a hundred times, i put a thousand coats of tint on, and i even used a clear coat, and it looks like crap. it's got a maroon color to it, not black, and i used two cans of tint spray. i'm not an amatuer when it comes to painting, so i know i didn't mess up that part. i'll post pics when i get my camera back after the weekend. i'm never spray tinting my taillights again....i don't recommend it for anyone, even if you do it the "right way"
thanks check. yea, i'll admit, i was a little frustrated when i wrote that post. i'm happier with em now. i was just pissed that the finish didn't turn out smoother. it seems like the wet-sanding and the clear coat didn't do much at all.
they really aren't maroon, that was just me being angry i guess.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:39 PM
4th Gear

well, unless someone's having a romantic session with ur lights, you should be alright. maybe an uber fine grit paper and another couple coats of clearcoat will fix it up, i personally think it looks great as is. I don't think i've ever seen anyone do a tint job and not have just a hint of speckle at least when they're done.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Banned

thats deff what they are gonna look like. i did it to my 98 blue one and thats how they came out. i guess thats why i havent decided to do it again but i have a black one now and i think yours looks great. but the night shades doesnt leave a nices shine at all. try an enamal clear spray. like 10 coats...lol..ive usually had good luck with that stuff.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear

thanks for the tip audihere. btw, how do you like that gfb hybrid? i haven't seen anyone with it yet, does it have a loud bov sound?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear

wow thats hot! i want to smoke my tails now

Quick Reply: tinting taillights