Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting back window

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Tinting back window

so i finally decided to get my a4 tinted. im going with 15% all around. My question is about the back window. Do you guys tint over the third brake light? or have it cut around? I ask because i will just take off the 3rd brake light before taking it to the tint shop, that way he can do the whole window, and i can just put it back on. any suggestions what i should do? pics?? thanks a lot!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Default RE: Tinting back window

sum shops put tint on the inside of the window but sum shop do both sides to make it darker i have 5% all around that includes the front also so they dont do the third brake light bc they would have to remove sum part from the inside but ask them if they r tinting outside or inside or just both

Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 AM
4th Gear

Why not just have them cut around the brake light?

Old 06-28-2007, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

If they are professionals they will cut out around the brake light. You can probably get another ticket for having the brake light tinted.[sm=boosign.gif]

Old 06-28-2007, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

I have my back tinted with a cut for the brake light.It's a heavy tintfor the back windows and sofar I assume I'm legal for Illinois. I'm 20 and driving anAudi with aloud exhaust soif there's a cop magnent thats me, but no ones given me any grief about it. The only problem I've hadis thatI take the train into work and the tint is too dark to put the parking sticker in my back window, or any inner windowdecal for that matter.So that giant Phi Delta Theta sticker I was hoping to put up isn't gonna work.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

HAHA the shops ive seen only do outside, but some do inside they take less abuse and last little longer, pro shops will cut around brake light, go to a good shop dont be cheap and get the warranty

Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

actually, i used to tint windows, and its alot harder to cover the brake light then to cut around. i think it looks cheap to have a cut around the brake light IMO. but to each his own. and if its professional the tint should always go on the inside.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

Well, I don't know about you guys..But in NJ it is illegal to have the 3rd brake light tinted over and you also won't pass inspection because of it..

Old 06-29-2007, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ironman

HAHA the shops ive seen only do outside, but some do inside they take less abuse and last little longer, pro shops will cut around brake light, go to a good shop dont be cheap and get the warranty
thanks for feedback. i have never heard of anyone getting tint done outside, i wouldn't ever pay money for that, it just wouldn't last. i talked to the install guy today and he said that every a4 he's done (about 30) he took out the 3rd brake light, tinted the back window, then put it back on. i think it looks cheap when its cut around, and apparently so does he! so thats what im gonna end up doin. thanks

Old 06-29-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

+1

Tinting the outside??? Yuck - Any reputable shop is going to tint the inside, they would laugh if you asked them to do the outside. It's a waste of money for them and a waste of time for you. If they do the outside and something happens to it (which it will within a year if you drive it daily) they have to replace it - and you have to be without your car for an other day. (Considering you go to a reputable shop, which will have a lifetime warranty on their film and labor)

Quick Reply: Tinting back window