Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt. Updated with pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Timing belt

I also have the AWM engine. I had my timing belt changed at 84K mi.
The belt was in good condition, but I don't plan on keeping the car for
170K mi. An independent shop may charge $800 for the job, including
timing belt
tensioner
damper pulley
water pump
2 V belts for A/C, alternator and power steering
antifreeze

Old 04-19-2007, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Just wondering,How do you know it may need a new timing belt? Is something wrong with the car now?
I have a 2001 A4 1.8T with 56K miles and I think I may need a timing belt as well.
I just want to do it before it breaks. The car runs beautifly now just would prfere to spend 250-800 dollars to have it rather than 500-2500 to have it done

Old 04-19-2007, 01:40 PM
4th Gear

It should take you about 5-8 hrs. to complete the job, and about $300. (dont forget the anti-freeze)

Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM
4th Gear

If you can read lettering clearly on the timing belt, it
probably was done.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

is there a way to check/ see the condition of the timing belt before actually going throught the processs of replaing it. If i have to go throughhalf the process just to check the condition then I might as well just replace it for piece of mind

Old 04-19-2007, 01:53 PM
3rd Gear

its not the TB that goes out - your TB could look like new - its the TB tensioner that fails. If the tensioner fails then the TB falls off(ok does "fall off" but...) - causing catastrophic engine failure

Old 04-19-2007, 01:55 PM
1st Gear

Last week I was here trying to diagnose this loud rattling sound coming from my engine at low RPM on a warm engine. From what I've read here, it seems like all signs are pointing to "timing". After a the car was in the shop for a few days,this hack mechanic I took it too couldnt tell me anything without first taking off the Valve cover and replacing the gasket for $300 and that might not even help him find out whats wrong. I thought if sdboarder was having any of the same symptoms then, we might have the same problem, but he'sjust doing prevenative maintence.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Cruz734

Last week I was here trying to diagnose this loud rattling sound coming from my engine at low RPM on a warm engine. From what I've read here, it seems like all signs are pointing to "timing". After a the car was in the shop for a few days,this hack mechanic I took it too couldnt tell me anything without first taking off the Valve cover and replacing the gasket for $300 and that might not even help him find out whats wrong. I thought if sdboarder was having any of the same symptoms then, we might have the same problem, but he'sjust doing prevenative maintence.
If its your tentioner then driving it is not a great idea. Is it still at the shop? If you got it home you could pull the front off and check out the T-belt. This wont cost you a dime and you will be able to check it off the list of possible problems. Also this will give you the chance to replace any vac lines, oil, t-belt or anything else you may need to do.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

It is possile to remove just the upper timing belt cover and then see the condition of the timing belt and the tentioner pully. If it is the new design then it was done. The only problem is you can't tell when.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

"you could pull the front off and check out the T-belt"

Pull the front what off? Sorry I'm not very mechanicly inclined. My dads a heavy engine mechanic so I'll work with him. Thanks for the tip.

sdboarder, Sorry to intrude on your thread with my problem

Quick Reply: Timing belt. Updated with pics