Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt and Ticking And a Bunch of Other Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing Belt and Ticking And a Bunch of Other Stuff

My car has been ticking for about a week now, it got worse and worse until last night I went out and checked the oil, it was almost completely out of oil, and I'm thinking WTF because the oil was changed by the dealer supposedly 2000 miles ago. I know for sure there are no leaks, I think maybe some possible burning may be occuring, but I haven't noticed a strong smell at all. Anyway, I put about 3 quarts in to hold it over until I get the chance to get a new filter and some good recommendations on oil. So I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on what brand of synthetic to be putting in? Also, I was wondering if the dealerships change out the timing belt on their 60K servicing, I bought the car shortly after they said it was done, and I've heard I should get it done soon if it hasn't already been done. ANother thing, I'm going to need to refill the coolant soon and was wondering if their are any certain brands I should use for that also.

SO in short....
-Is TB change part of 60 K Servicing at Dealership?
-What Brand of synthetic should I use? Any other advice when it comes to anything with the oil change
-Any certain coolant I should use?

BTW I have a 97 A4 1.8tQ

Old 01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Timing Belt and Ticking And a Bunch of Other Stuff

Timing belt should be done at 60K, but I think the dealer says to change it 90 or something... so I'd track down the records. If maintenance was done at the dealer, they should know if it was changed, or not.

Oil, Audi recommends castrol syntec 5w40
Coolant, use pentosin G12

Pentosin fluids @ ecstuning
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ro&engine=1.8T

Old 01-26-2006, 12:04 AM
1st Gear

Thanks a lot, and other than that Castrol, have you found that any other brand goes well with the A4. I heard that the castrol doesn't come out as puse as something like Mobil1, any truth to this? I really just want to give it the best I can since there is a good chance things aren't looking so well on the inside after hardly any oil.

Is timing belt a DIY? because I would like to do anything I can by myself, but if its not worth the experience then I'll take it to a local VW/Audi mechanic. And say this timing belt were to break, is it gonna take a good chunk of the engine with it as it flies off? Is their some kind of neuspeed pulley or something along those lines that would help performance or economy? Haha I'm pretty new to the Audi scene, just wanting to make sure I take care of it.

Once again, thanks

-eric

Old 01-26-2006, 12:08 AM
2nd Gear

I did mine with a friend. Its not an easy task just to give you an idea. Removing the bumper, headlights, radiator, radiator support, fans etc.. Its a 2 to 3 day job. And alot of little parts and screws to remember where they go lol. But i use mobil 1 it treats my 1.8t well i do it every 2500 miles.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:11 AM
2nd Gear

The owners manuel says do it at 105K. I think 60K is a little to soon but if you have the cash then go for it.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 AM
4th Gear

So where did 3 quarts of oil go?

1. Either they didn't put enough in (lesson 1: If you have someone else do the work, always check to make sure it is done right).
2 Check your fluid levels yourself frequently.

3. Either the oil is leaking, or being burned off. Adding 3 quarts of oil just tops up your oil. It doesn't solve the problem.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear

the owners manual that says 105k i believe is for the 2001 with the updated tensioners, also i dont know if its a two to three day job? i guess it depends how long you work on it each day but there are right ups and all of them say about 8-10 hours, so it is no quick fix, also if anyone needs a good deal on a timing belt kit let me know, ill hook you up.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

I know that its a problem, my fear is that it is burning it. This is my Daily Driver so I wouldn't be able to take more than a day for fixing it. I might talk to you about getting that kit though and then sending it to a mechanic for labor though. Also, socalaudi, mind if i asked how much you payed for your headlights and where you got them.

Thanks,
-eric

Old 01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear

try pulling a spark plug. you can tell if it is burning oil.

the mobil 1 is a good oil choice, use a mann filter for both oil and air.