Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt questions

I have a '99 A42.8 quatro w/ 87K miles. I'm about to do the timing belt for the first time. The manual refers to a camshaft alignment tool. Is this really needed? if so what is the purpose?

Also, where is a good site to get the parts?
Belt
Tensioner
water pump
v-belt
anything else?

Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Timing belt questions

its not needed but recommended. its so the cam stays at top dead center.

you should just buy the complete kit from purems. its got everything you need at the lowest price

Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the fast reply. I will be working with a mechanic not familliar with Audi's but knows engines. How tough will it be to hold the cam at top dead center w/o the bracket? Would a reference mark help?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:16 PM
5th Gear

it should be really hard for the cam sprocket to move, if you try and turn it by hand you will see what i mean. most people just put reference marks to make sure it does not move throughout the install, which it shouldn't, and you REALLY dont want it to. here's a DIY-http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng35.shtml

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

If you would like, i can sell you the tool i just bought for my mechanic to do this job. I paid 135 including overnight from audi but i'll sell it to you for 65 plus shipping.

For some reason my mechanic was not able to do it without this tool, even though he was able to to honda's mazda's etc without using any special alignment tools.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the offer. Sorry for my month delay.

New question: The Bentley service manual references a special tool 3242 crank shaft holder "to be put into the sealing plug opening". Is this another unnecessary tool, or is it important? Any other solutions typically used?

Also they mention using a 2-pinspanner wrench to open the tensioner. Again, is this typical, or do people use something else?

Quick reminder that this is the 2.8 V6 AHA engine.

Thanks again for all the support. I am hopefull I willchange the T-beltsoon.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

look at my thread DYI timing belt: Success posted 12/3. No need for special tools, aligning marks straight forward. Make your own marks onthe lower crank pully to block. Once you have installed the belt and tensioner, hand crank with 19mm socket at lower crank bolt pulley one full revolution; if both top cam and lower crank pulley marks return to position, all is OK.

good luck,

Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 AM

I did mine without the tool. No problem with movement.

Tip for getting the synchronization correct: I had a friend who was an excellent mechanic. Whenever he did a belt on anything, (provided it was done in time and running well), he marked the teeth on the pulleys and belt, (one tooth on belt, two on pulley or vice versa), and counted the teeth in between on the belt. This makes it impossible to screw it up. Mark your new belt like the old one and go to your marks on the pulleys, but be careful. Count three times and make sure you get your intervals in the right places. I always did mine by the factory timing marks, until I ran into a couple that didn't work. I've done it this way since and never had a problem.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback. I will have some helping hands, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:09 PM

The tool is recommended by the manual but not required. The alignment of the cam shouldn't change if you are careful with the procedure.

Quick Reply: Timing belt questions