Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt change woes...sound file and hood issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Timing belt change woes...sound file and hood issues

Well I replaced the timing belt. It all went pretty smooth as far as the install. Anyways I started the car and it sounds like it has some belt whine going on. I don't think it is the ribbed belt even though it was also replaced. I can not find where it is coming from exactly. I at first thought the TB might be rubbing up against the plastic cover that houses the belt. When I removed the cover durring the install there was a spot you could tell that had been rubbed a little. If you get your nose really close it smells like rubber not burning plastic....So I thought maybe the belt it too tight? The bently manual stated that after everything is done you should tourque the tensioner in the tension direction and then the tensioner should release properly. So I am thinking is not working properly and now it is sitting too tight? If that is the case will the tensoner fix its self in a few miles? Will I have to be diving back into my engine bay? Here is the sound/video clip so let me know what you think......

TB Movie/Sound (~929K)

Also I need to now add coolant. But unfortantly the cable to release the hood is not connected the the latch or something. Since the TB I have opened and closed my hood about three times. Well now the lever in the cabin will not release the hood. I imagine the cable has come off the latch. How should I go about opening the hood? I tried removing the lever that holds is thinking I might be able to get some extra pull with it off and then it will open but abandoned that thinking it wont solve anything the two bolts holding it on are imposible to remove. I removed the grill but unfortantly the front lever used to open the hood after it is released seems to be blocking everything. Maybe if I know exactly what needs to move in what direction I could triger something. Any thoughts or ideas on this? Thx in advanced

p.s. the sound clip makes it sound like it is pulsating or on off more than it really is

Old 07-28-2005, 12:47 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Timing belt change woes...sound file and hood issues

When my hoood doesn't open... it's because the bugs i've hit have welded it shut to the body of the car,,,, pull on the grill to raise the hood. it takes a bit of effort but it'll suddenly release (mind you..not toooo much effort..but more than you think).

240km/h provides crazee glue bug sealant.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:10 PM
6th Gear

The whining could be because the belt is too tight. That happened to me when I changed mine.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

I got under the car. The cable is not attached. I am going to get a dowle and see if I can engage the release from under the car. Any other ideas now knowing the cable is not attached at all?

Old 07-28-2005, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

fixed link

Old 07-29-2005, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

well I got the hood open...Used a woden dowel and went diagnoal from the pasanger side from underneath. Was able to push the latch. So now all I need is to fix the sound.

Any chance that sound is made from the water pump runing with an air bubble in it or something? Is it almost garanteed that I need a new tensoner damper? It is a little quiter today. If it fixes its self should I still replace the damper incase it is failing?

Old 07-29-2005, 09:24 AM
3rd Gear

I didnt have time to listen the sound clip but take alittle tension out of your a/c belt, mine whines a little too because its too tight.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TomRitt

I didnt have time to listen the sound clip but take alittle tension out of your a/c belt, mine whines a little too because its too tight.
How did you fix this? Sometime you should take a chance to listen to the clip. The sound has gotten a little better over the last couple days but you can still hear it while driving and all. I think after work I am going to go in and replace the TB dampner in the thought that the TB it too tight??

Old 07-29-2005, 06:40 PM
3rd Gear

Oh nm that sounds different from mine, almost sounds like something is unbalanced

Old 07-30-2005, 06:33 AM
1st Gear

Went back in and replaced the tensioner dampner. Fixed the problem, guess the TB was a bit too tight. To bad it was 120bux extra but at least everything to do with the TB has been changed now. Thx for all your help though