Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throtle problem fast idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Throtle problem fast idle

1999.5 1.8T Q Tip-auto AEB engine.
I replaced the K03 Turbo (please save the "ya shoulda upgraded" comments for another thread) and also pulled the intake manifold off and coolant tank, replaced the PVC and some other block ventilation plastic that was busted. Everything is back together, but now the idle goes to 2500-2800 on start up. If I tap the gas pedal, it revs up, but doesn't fall back. If I put it in Drive or Reverse, the idle drops back to around 800. I've run the vagcom but its not throwing any engine codes? Seems like its a vacuum or sensor issue, but I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas?

Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Throtle problem fast idle

I recheck and I am getting a code! 17953 Throttle Valve Control Malfunction P1545-35-10. Looking at the Bentley it looks like the throttle sensor needs to be reset if it is removed/diconnected. The directions are for a VAG scan tool, so I'm off to ross-tech to see if they have a proceedure.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:03 PM
5th Gear

01-Engine: -- KWP-1281
VAG-COM works well with all engines available in the U.S. and most engines that users have tested in overseas markets. Idle Speed Adaptation:

With engine warmed up, at idle: [Select]
[01 engine]
[Adaptation - 10]

Enter channel 01
Enter an adaptation value between 124 and 132
[Save]

(May require a Login of 01283 or 11463, depending on year or model) Throttle Body Adaptation:

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]

Enter Group 060 (may be Group 098 on some cable-throttle cars)
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]

Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB
adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in basic mode for about 30 seconds, then switch back to normal settings and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!
hope that helps

Old 11-18-2007, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

Ok...

I have a cable going to the throttle so I guess I'm a group 98, per Ross-Tech (below). But I'm not sure how to tell if I have ISV.

When I hit GO, I get ADP OK, then when I hit [switch to basic] I get "error". Clicking back to [Measuring Block] after 30 seconds, I still have error? Now what?

(These are engines with a physical cable between the accelerator and the throttle, but WITHOUT an ISV.)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.
[ul][*][Select][*][01 - Engine][*][Measuring Blocks - 08] [/ul] Enter Group 098 (Note: Some SIMOS or Marelli ECU's use Group 001 such as ADY & AEE engines) [ul][*][Go!][*][Switch to basic settings] [/ul] Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds. [ul][*]Click the [Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set. [/ul]

Old 11-18-2007, 07:40 PM
1st Gear

Problem solve! It seems that if you leave a rag stuffed in the hose that feeds the intake, performance is compromised. I had to pull the hose off to find the problem, the stupid VAG-COM couldn't figure it out, maybe in the next release?

I like to clean stuff up before putting it back on, but in this case... well..... I guess its possible to have tools, and still be stupid.

Happy ending... It is purring like a kitten again now!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Tlag

Problem solve! It seems that if you leave a rag stuffed in the hose that feeds the intake, performance is compromised. I had to pull the hose off to find the problem, the stupid VAG-COM couldn't figure it out, maybe in the next release?

I like to clean stuff up before putting it back on, but in this case... well..... I guess its possible to have tools, and still be stupid.

Happy ending... It is purring like a kitten again now!
Yikes...... I hope you dont have aspirations to everbecome any kind of surgeon.....

Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 PM
5th Gear

this has got to be a joke or something

Old 11-18-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

I wish I could say it was a put-on, but I really did leave a rag in the hose. After the turbo blew, a lot of oil got pushed through the the whole intake path. I cleaned out all hoses from the turbo to the intake, pushing rags through to clean the oily residue out of them. I thought I had pulled them all through and out, but I must have missed one, and it got sucked up against the throttle butterfly. I guess that's why surgeons are suppose to count their sponges before stiching someone backup. I'm surprised it ran at all. Nothing is dumber than real life.