Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three problems with car

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Three problems with car

Ok i just hit 100k miles and my car is slamming me with problems already. So i wanted to see if any of you knew what is going wrong

1. Whenever I turn my wheel to the left i hear a clicking from the drivers left side. Im assuming this is the CV joint. Ive been told just to replace the whole axle. If this is the problem is that true?

2. Whenever I get over 40 MPH the rear of my car sounds like an airplane taking off (it sounds really loud). Are these the wheel bearings that are going?

3. Whenever I idle there is a clicking noise coming from under the hood. It sounds like the engine is really struggling. I figured id check the timing belt first, but it didnt seem to have anything wrong with it. Anyone know what else it might be?

Thanks for you help guys.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Default RE: Three problems with car

2)yes.
3)is it a constant clicking? like from a belt rotating?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

3. yes...thats what makes me believe its the timing belt. but the belts all look fine

Old 06-25-2006, 08:15 PM
3rd Gear

1) You might as well repalce the axle is the damage is bad enough. You could try replacing the boot on the axle if its torn and re-grease the joint for a quick fix.

2) Probably

3) Does the sound go up with engine RPM?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

3. yes it does

Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
4th Gear

3:
Ignition control module maybe? does it sound like its coming from the top of the airbox?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

im not too sure...once it stops raining ill go and check it out and see if i can determind exactly where the noise is

Old 06-25-2006, 09:18 PM
4th Gear

I don't know what you mean "already". The car has 100K miles. Stuff wears out.

1. CV joint. Replace the entire axle.

2. Sounds like wheel bearing. Could be bad tire. Rotate the tire and if the noise remains in the same spot it is the wheel bearing. If the noise follows the tire, it is obviously the tire. Fix it before your wheel locks up and you go into a spin.

3. Not sure, Most of our engines make valve noise at idle. However, you are at 100K miles and if you haven't replaced your timing belt and related parts, you are overdue. These are interference engines which means that if the timing belt slips, your engine is toast when the vavles hit the pistons. When you do the timing belt and tensioner, replace the front cam seals (3) while you are there

Now would also be a good time to do full maintenance. If you haven't, changed the air filter and plugs recently, do it. Also may want to replace the gear oil in the transmission, front, center and rear differentials with fresh synthetic. May want to drain/change the power steering fluid and replace with fresh Pentosin 11. Even though these are "permanent" lubricants, they wear out.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

thanks for all the thorough replies guys...you probably just saved me an assload of money since i dont have to bring it to a mechanic now

Old 06-25-2006, 11:36 PM

1. for a new CV Axle I suggest Raxles.com. They have good prices, excellent sevice, and an extremely high quality product. they will even send you the tools you need if you dont have them! Click here for instructions.

Quick Reply: Three problems with car