Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test pipe Emisions test

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Default Test pipe Emisions test

I'm wondering from those that have a test pipe. I am looking into getting a test pipe, but I have emisions tests where I live. I know that as long as the car is running decently that I will pass the sensor part of the test ( I have passed other vehicles with hollowed out cats) But how do you pass the visual test?
Also will it throw a CEL on my aeb b5?
Thanks.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:35 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Test pipe Emisions test

could you go get your car inspected before putting it on that way you're good for two? years? i'm planning something similiar and i'm looking into whether they'll let me get inspected early then i'll throw on whatever exhaust i want and deal with the emissions two years from now. what do you guys think?

you can always pay the guy at a private shop to pass you. a 40 spot should do the trick...

Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
3rd Gear

every state is different, buts its OBD II they dont do the snift test on the OBD II cars just get a read out through the port, and if you have no cel, or codes stored on the ECU then you should be all set, you can trick the o2 sensor into reading correctly. as far as inspection with no cat you would only pass if the person doing the inspection didnt know what a cat looked like..

Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
3rd Gear

^^ in that case could you wrap the test pipe in a heat shield material for the test or something so they dont see that the t-pipe?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:55 PM

I was thinking of cutting the old cat apart and wraping the housing around the test pipe. but I still need to know if it will throw a CEL.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:57 PM
4th Gear

You can buy a high flow cat, that should pass emission visual and/or emiisions test.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear

if your going to do a high flow cat you should all so have it relocated under the car where it is on most cars so it is out of the engine bay i heard it helps get the heat out from under the hood and doesn't restict the turbo as much thats just i have heard it could be total crap

Old 11-30-2006, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear

i think the cat needs heat to operate properly... thats what i heard. if you do the nonfouler mod you will be good on cel...

wrapping the cat housing is creative but if for some reason the guy sees that would be so funny....

i say go get inspected if you are good for two years. then do the test pipe. and worry about it two years from now...

who knows by then you might be driving an S....

Old 11-30-2006, 02:08 PM

If you're really gangster, hollow out your cat and then slide a piece of pipe inside it, trick the O2 sensor, and weld the old cat with the pipe inside of it up! Ghetto test-pipe, that'll trick the visuals, and perform well. Assuming your car is OBDII you'd be golden... or do what I do, live in Montana, where they don't give a rat's *** whats done to your car really.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear

if there was no emissions test i would roll around with just a testpipe and a downpipe and see what it sounds like...

Quick Reply: Test pipe Emisions test