Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test-Pipe/Borla/VDO Oil Gauge Multiple issuues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:21 PM
4th Gear
Default Test-Pipe/Borla/VDO Oil Gauge Multiple issuues

Installed 2 things today

1.) E-code Test-Pipe
2.) VDO OIL GAUGE/With 42 Draft Design oil pressure sender.

Before I go on, I posted on here 1 week ago about running very lean. (Problem was fix after I change my filter, YES MY FILTER)

ok, I took my car to a reputable shop VFC-Engineering specializing in VW/AUDI/Porche

1st problem they installed my test pipe, I added the NON-FOULER (just one) and the O2 does NOT REACH TO THE FRONT OF THE CAR!! He tried switching o2's with the one in the rear and it still won't reach. I took emissions in July, so I am not due for another 3 yrs. Any idea why this is or how I can work around this issue? I assume I will throw a code any day now.

2nd Problem>>>
VDO OIL Gauge is reading *BACKWARDS* Any ideas why this is? He said everything was hooked up properly and suspects it's either the gauge or the wrong sender from 42draft design.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb3rcd5Us_o
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This isn't a regular cheap place and has good background Think of it as a Renn-Art but in Chicago (not the burbs)

I will follow up as the situation progresses. It's 8pm here in Chicago,IL So i cant really see anything but I have entire weekend to trouble shoot guys. So let the suggestions begin.

P.S. VIDEOS OF T-PIPE SOON!!! My batteries died

Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Test-Pipe/Borla/VDO Oil Gauge Multiple issuues

LOL, yeah thats not good. Maybe the wires are backwards? I don't know if this would do that but it's worth a look. They are human so they can make mistakes. Also, what is that other little thing below the oil pressure gauge? AF meter?

For the non-fouler, I am a little confused as to what you are asking about. Not sure what you mean by it won't make it to the front of the car.

Josh

Old 10-25-2007, 09:30 PM
4th Gear

Well Josh.. basically you need to plug the FRONT o2 into the test pipe right? (so you dont throw a code) Well the whole thing is Doug (the owner) is telling me the 02 will not reach to the testpipe. So Im stuck with not hooking up the testpipe propperly which will lead to a code/check engine light.

Bottom is Air to fuel ratio aka Disco Rave Party gauge
I was thinking the same thing as you dude maybe he made a mistake.

-Spiel

Old 10-25-2007, 09:33 PM
4th Gear

Oh, ok, was he able to get the rear O2 sensor in? You could always splice some longer wires for the O2 sensor to make it reach.

And I want a "Disco Rave Party Guage" in my car!!! HAHA are you running a wide band O2 sensor for that? What gauge is it?

Josh

Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 PM
3rd Gear

^ yeah simply cut and crimp (or betteryetsolder) in longer wires.useshrink rap and/or some heat sheild ifyou thinkyou'll need it.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

Oh, ok, was he able to get the rear O2 sensor in? You could always splice some longer wires for the O2 sensor to make it reach.

And I want a "Disco Rave Party Guage" in my car!!! HAHA are you running a wide band O2 sensor for that? What gauge is it?

Josh
** The rear o2 would not fit either!! *frown* Yes I thought of that I could splice into it and extend it, wont it short out? You know our german cars are picky!

It is a Cyberdyne Digital air-to-fuel (not wide) it does the job man, While I have all these gauges Josh they have actually helped alot! When i had my idle rough issue and was runnign very very lean... I would have never known without that gauge. I am not the most car savvy person but I can troubleshoot things pretty easily if I get pointed into right direction.

Ok, so miswiring of the oil gauge, is it possible its a faulty sender or gauge?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Probably the wrong sender. Generally i've worked with two types of gauges/senders -- all the sender does is convert pressure in to a resistance level (ohms). Some gauges read low ohms as high pressure, others read high resistance as high pressure. You probably just have the wrong sender if your gauge is acting like that. You should be able to find the resistance values that the gauge is expecting to see at a certain PSI, and match that with a sender.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
4th Gear

Ok, I'll call egauges and find out which one i got exactly!

ORIGINAL: thesupremeg33k

Probably the wrong sender. Generally i've worked with two types of gauges/senders -- all the sender does is convert pressure in to a resistance level (ohms). Some gauges read low ohms as high pressure, others read high resistance as high pressure. You probably just have the wrong sender if your gauge is acting like that. You should be able to find the resistance values that the gauge is expecting to see at a certain PSI, and match that with a sender.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 PM
4th Gear

You shouldn't have any problems with the O2 sensors shorting out as long as they are hooked up the same. Just do one wire at a time so you don't get them mixed up. And yes, solder them together and then use shrink wrap and heat shielding to cover them. You shouldn't have any problems at all.

josh

Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
4th Gear

Josh what brand or type of wires should i used?

Quick Reply: Test-Pipe/Borla/VDO Oil Gauge Multiple issuues