Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TEIN Basics Installed today*Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:28 PM
1st Gear
Default TEIN Basics Installed today*Review

I'm hoping that some of you guys will chime in about this product. I'm running these on a 98 A4 30V QM.

So far, the ride is not harsh at all. Seems to handle most of the bumps pretty well.

The PROBLEM with these on THIS car is that the shocks are seemingly underdamped for the springs. This leads to a very BOUNCY ride (according to Jeremy's writeup on "damping").

You can read at at http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...threadid=72510

I guess I'm hoping for feedback to determine my next move:
(1) change to the Tein SuperStreet with variable damping, or
(2) change to an entirely different setup.

Either way, something must be done to correct the problem. I read many reviews on the "basic" setup but many were non-specific in their assessment of pros vs cons.

Feel free to chime in>

Old 11-19-2006, 12:38 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: TEIN Basics Installed today*Review

I didn't know tein made products for the 2.8, do you have a link to them?. Anyways, maybe H&R or bilstein would have a more favorable setup.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:46 AM

some H&R coilovers would be a nice touch....

Old 11-19-2006, 01:14 AM
2nd Gear

I said it once I'll say it again Tien sux donkey *****

Old 11-19-2006, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

Trey25,

According to the Tein website (and confirmed by my phone call to the company), they have just come out with a coilover fitment in an SS for the A4B5 Quattro. http://www.tein.com/audi.html. The spring rates for the aforementioned setup are 671F/559R.

The Basic coilover kit that I purchased from Eurocode tuning (http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart...ail&p=455&c=29) has a spring rate of 895F/559R. This Basic kit is indicated (according to the Tein website) as a fitment for both the A4 B5 Quattro V6 and the B5 S4. I'd like to believe that Tein isn't releasing product without adequate testing.

Being that suspension performance is quite subjective and many Audi owners have submitted positive reports on the Tein products, it is possible that many other factors (ie. tire sidewall strength and +1 or +2 wheel upsizing) may also be significant factors in this equation (but to what degree?).

Looking forward to some intelligent feedback.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:24 AM
2nd Gear

The kit could be based on your factory unsprung weight. If you get a heavier wheel and tire combo than the factory size and weight the ability to dampen road vibration gets worse especially when there is a lower amount of travel allowed. Your unsprung weight is any weight the springs and shocks or coilovers do not carry. If you have factory wheels the kit sucks, if you have an aftermarket wheel and tire setup figure out the weight and possibly look for a forged set like BBS or something. You can get forged 18's with tires weighing 40 pounds each, closer to the factory weight.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

TC,

Yeah, I understand about unsprung weight. I've done significant modding to (2) VR6 Corrados in the past. (H&R/Bilstein combos) A little too stiff for my taste, but I was also running BBS 17s (a lighter wheel).

At this point, I feel that the unsprung weight "must" be factored into the equation to achieve a balance of performance and comfort. I'm leaning toward a fully adjustable setup. After reading so many opinions from AW, AZ, and AF, I should hope to have a grasp on my next decision by now. In reality, there is no closure on this subject (evidenced by the exponential number of threads on this subject). This is why some people end up spending twice what they intended, to have the assurance of "I got what I paid for" and why some of us drive an Audi in the first place.

Experience is the best teacher. BTW, I'm running factory 17 inch Celebration wheels.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Trey25

I didn't know tein made products for the 2.8, do you have a link to them?. Anyways, maybe H&R or bilstein would have a more favorable setup.

Q4T...

Old 11-20-2006, 03:45 PM
4th Gear

^^^uh?

Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM
2nd Gear

unsprung weight would not have anything to do with dapening, by definition unsprung weight is weight not held up by the springs or shocks, so it wouldnt have any effect on the spring/shock combo..

you mentioned earlier that the spring rates and dampening for the audi were different than what you had, i suggest you talk to a representative, and tell them that you ordered the wrong set and would like assistance finding the set that is for your car...

also, i didnt kno that tein had a 30v verson of their basic. the 1.8 and 2.8/3.0 engines weigh much different, this could account for the weight difference, therefore making the suspension unbalanced...

what you could do is switch to bilstiens all around, i wouldent reccomend just changing the front or rear shocks, for fear of the two not working properly together.

good luck, im intrested to see how this turns out...