Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the Plunge!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default Taking the Plunge!!!!

Well not really a plunge, but Anyways ive decieded to drop a S4 motor into my B5 2.8. Im not going to change anything not even the badges so in a way it will be sleeper. What i am going to do is over time find a S4 Totaled from the rear or side(going to be the challenging part) Buy the whole car Have it sit ill take everything i need transaxles(half shafts) ECU Wiring harness ETC. After that just put my engine on a Engine stand(have one) And built it up or fix it up. Make sure everything is in good working condition, Maybe eventhrough some bigger turbos on there. Me being 18 Having to pay insurence and My car payments this is going to take a while. Considering it will be sitting at my hosue and i will be at college, but after the winter time and during i will be looking for S4's And then eventually buying a totaled one and taring it apart. Then during the summer on Build up the motor.
NOW I KNOW I WILL GET SO MANY COMMENTS SAYING, ITS CHEAPER TO BUY A S4 SO DO IT THAT BLAH BLAH BLAH. My friends and I have done motor swaps before, And with the subframe being the way it is you dont even need a lift, With the engine crane you can lift up the car by the subframe and drop the motor out that way onto stands. Easier said than done. And not to mention the satisfaction that you get from doing your own engine swap.

Just figured id mention.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Taking the Plunge!!!!

sounds like ur absolutely set on doing it. well good luck and have fun man. make sure u do a write up lol. take lots of pix and vids.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

nice dude, i am all for motor swaps nomatter what ppl say also, prolly gonna end up doing it myself once my 1.8 blows up, but that s4 swap is a pretty big financial plunge, should be a fun, yet complicated project.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Guru

not to knock you, but you would be better off taking your cars body off your car and dropping it onto the s4 frame....... that might be just as stupid....... not to say i am calling you stupid, cause it can be done, but you will have to change the cluster out too, you do know this?

yeah good luck with the search, but i can be finding a car will be harder than you think, it would be easier just looking for a vr6 motor and turboing it

Old 10-24-2007, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah i know all about the cluster, i was up at AWE tuning all day today talking to them. I mean It wont be done for AWHILE Probably around this time next year just becuase of finacail issues. But slow and steady is the way to go. Get it done right so it will last long.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear

And i really don't follow what you are saying. Most of the time when a car is totaled the frame is bent. So how does that make any sense? Inform me.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Guru

not always man, i had an s-10 with no frame damage at all, hit a tree, $3200 damage+paint/labor and they almost totaled it out, it is up to a certain percentage of the value of the vehicle..... say and s4 with miles, like the one for sale on here, the insurance company might say the car is only worth say 4 grand, you get tagged in the back, trunk lid and "fenders" have to be replaced, plus paint plus labor and you might even be over the 4 grand of the value of the vehicle, but the frame might still be good

another problem is most junk yards pull motors and trannies and such on cars like that.... you gotta almost be a vulture and grab an s4 at an accident

Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

if you have time, space, tools, and patience, go for it. w/enough time and energy, just bout anything can be done. i think the rest of us have limits on these in some way. take pics, write it up, let us know. @ 16 my stepfather bought 2 69 mustangs. took them fully apart, stripped and cleaned everything, including paint, carb, any bearings, tranny, anything that could come apart. built one car from the two. took like 2 years and both his mothers garage and his friends fathers shop. when he was done though, thing of beauty.,

Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear

Now i get what your saying. Yeah I know, everyone is a volture for S4's So thats why it will be the hard part for finding one. I will litteraly have to find one on a flat bead and claim it.

And yes no rush on the engine project, of course i will do write up's as i go along with it, Should be interesting.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
3rd Gear

This swap is like landing a man on mars you can only dream and waste alot of money but good luck!

Quick Reply: Taking the Plunge!!!!