Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 05:38 PM
arb
1st Gear
Default tail light problem

Okay so I put in some new tail lights (Euro Smoked) for my 1999.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro and everytime I start the car a put it into gear a dead bulb light comes on? I have no idea why because everybulb is working fine? Could this be that the aftermarket wires and causing a little confusion to the audi stock wires?

thanks,

Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: tail light problem

Every light?

Does the light stay on or go off?

Does the light come on immediately when you start it or you have to push the brakes?

How are you checking to see if every light works? Were they all brand new bulbs or did you use the old ones?

Ok so I ask all the questions but really all I want to say is most bulbs have a double filament so like brake lights you can turn on the headlights and all the bulbs work and then if someone else pushes the brakes and you watch the second filament will not light up. Since you say it does not come on until you put the car in gear, it is a brake light (because you have to push the brakes) or a back up light (because you pass through reverse to get to gear). Of course if you are a manual trans it is a little different. Start the car, don't touch the brakes, then turn on the headlights. if no light, push the brakes. if no lights shift to reverse. It is usually the brake filament that burns up first. Anyway, you could always pull the bulbs and see if any of them are burnt.

If after all that you absolutely swear that all the bulbs are working, well your brake light sensor works on resistance so the aftermarket lights wiring could be higher resistance and trigger the brake light sensor. Also going from a low resistance wire to a higher resistance will create heat and fire. Hey maybe you should hope it is really a bulb so your aftermarket lights don't burn up your car.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:54 PM
arb
1st Gear

lol....yea i hope it is a bulb. I am automatic trans and yes only when I push the brakes does the light appear (even when my headlights are on)

thanks for the advice tho

Old 06-03-2006, 05:55 PM

its a sign get rid of those ugly a$$ tail lights

Old 06-03-2006, 06:03 PM
arb
1st Gear

man these tail lights are not ugly at all espicially with 7% tint all around, 18" chrome and a sick sound system check em out http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-15590.cfm (mine are exact same except blacked out)

Old 06-03-2006, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

Second that.

If it only happens when you push the brakes you have a brake light bulb out. I SWEAR IT TO YOU. But just keep driving it until all of the brake lights burn out and then you can go super stealth mode and your back end can sneak up on people and stuff.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:07 PM

man thise do not look good in my books BTW chrome wheels do not belong on A4's either boourns on your car all around man sounds[sm=icon_beat.gif] like you have nothing going for you

Old 06-03-2006, 06:07 PM
2nd Gear

had the same problem.. it was the bulb.. it wouldnt actually blow.. but i kept getting the error everytime i was on the brakes.. goto the local auto store and try a new bulb..

Old 06-03-2006, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear

Oh man gotta go I just won the UK National Lottery... I got an email.

Maybe now I could afford a pair of those lights

Old 06-03-2006, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear

Crap it was spam.

Well anyway good luck.

Quick Reply: tail light problem