Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T3 Tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 02:30 AM
Default T3 Tragedy

Blown Headgasket......warped head. Yesterday, I warped my cylinder head. I was running the car pretty hard for a good amount of time when i noticed the temperature guage to begine to rise. It rose all the way to red, then "POPSHHHHHT". Then it started to knock really really loud. I lost all sorts of power and every last drop of coolant, so i had it towed home.
While reviewing the information collected by the data-logger, it turns out my fuel delivery, for about 1/3 of a sec, stoped. Causing the eninge to run lean, and "Explode"
so right now i have a dissasembled audi.
On a happier note, payday comes on the first. ive already picked out a head that i found in a junkyard from a 97 a4. Anyways thats the story, i havent decided what im going to do to my engine, all i know is that im not putting the t3 back on. please give your opinion on which way, performance wise, to go. Thanx

Old 08-31-2004, 02:50 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: T3 Tragedy

Ah d00d! That sucks! Sorry to hear about your misfortune! Hope you get your baby back and humming soon!

Old 08-31-2004, 04:40 AM
3rd Gear

there are places that you can buy a profesionally ported head with a vavle job if you got the money

Old 08-31-2004, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Better yet, save some dough by taking the junkyard head to be ported and polished. What about the rest of the motor? If you've got the money, now would be the time to change the cams, springs and valves.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear

Damn David, that really sucks. I take it the valves are all bent. That's awesome that you found a yard that would sell you the head only. When I thought I needed one, I couldn't find anyone that would sell the head only. They wanted to sell the whole engine. Did you figure out why the fuel system stopped?

Old 09-01-2004, 02:02 AM

Thanx for all your help and support guys. Right now i have very little money (about to be a husband), but the guys that run the junkyard said they would sell and install the whole engine for 2 grand. When i told them i just needed a head, they were able to track one down at a sister yard. Ill probably port and polish the head myself at my dads mechanics machineing facility.

Jay, all the valves are bent and every spring, save one, are either broken or craked. I still havent been able to find out why the fuel cut off.We were talking a while back about camshafts and i think ill go with schrick, but since i traded in my KO3 i dont have a turbo. There is some good news though, I think i might have found somebody to buy my T3 setup. How does the KO4 work for you? I trying to convince Brittany to let me spend some money on a KO4 kit, higher compression camshafts, valves and springs.

Today, after work i was able to clean all the gunk off the pistons. Supprisingly, the pistons are ok!! they were alittle bit charred, but a good scrubbing with the terry cloth cleaned them right up.

Do any of you know of anybody that makes aftermarket valve springs and valves? I'll tell you all something that will probably make you proud and maybe even smile, I'm going to use a chip and a DV instead of a fuel computer and a BOV. Anyways, thanx once again guys.

- David Kersch

Old 09-01-2004, 02:07 AM
4th Gear

Should have had the chip and you wouldnt have had a shortage! haha j/k.... sorry to hear about the bad luck. Atleast you found a head at the yard instead of paying an arm and leg for it. If your not going back to the T3, what are your plans for the next turbo?

Old 09-01-2004, 02:17 AM

If anybody made a chip for a T3 conversion i would have done that in a sec. Its so hard to mess with fuel curves. first you make a blind run, then check the data logger for a/f ratios and then adjust fuel according to the graph, then make another blind run. repeat as neccesary. But it was worth it, beinng less than 5 hundreths of a sec behind a modified z06 representing the A4. i also embarressed a guy driving a S4, with his girlfriend in the passenger seat. and a guy with a BMW dealer test driving the M3. Man that was sweet!! HaHa! take that BMW.

My plans for the turbo is to run hi compression camshafts in conjunction with a ko4 kit running on a fairly conservative amount of boost.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:25 PM
4th Gear

sounds like a good idea

Old 09-02-2004, 01:17 AM
3rd Gear

have you checked out PESs t28 kit the have a chip for it to?

Quick Reply: T3 Tragedy