Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Default Suspension DIY?

Im sure there is one out there. Im just looking for a detailed DIY for a replacement spring and shock combo. My brother did his coilovers on his e36 so he could help out, but it would be nice to have a full plan laid out before we break her down. TIA.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Suspension DIY?

heres a okay one

damn, yeterday, I found a complete step-by-step with very detailed pics on coilovers install, Im trying to find it for ya

Old 12-30-2005, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear

Found it! go to this page, scroll down to Street Sport and then click "Click here for PDF fitment & install guides" thats under it. then box appears, then click your car "Audi B5 Motorsport suspension" and you have your stuff!

go to this page

Old 12-30-2005, 01:51 PM
2nd Gear

STaSIS Engineering
Installation Instructions for Motor Sport Coil Over kit
Hyperco Springs/Custom Valved OHLINS Threaded Aluminum Dampers
Application: 2000-2002 Audi S4, 1996-2001 Audi A4 Quattro
Parts List
QUANTITY
PART Number
Description
SA00400MSDPF0
2 aluminum Motor Sport front dampers
SA00400MSDPR0
2 aluminum Motor Sport rear dampers
N/A
Upper Front Damper Mounts with bushings and Fasteners
SA00400MSBSL
Stainless steel lower rear suspension bushings
SA00400MSBSU
Stainless steel upper rear suspension bushings
OHLINS Reservoir Mounts with Fasteners
SA00400UPO8R0
Spring perch wrench
Hyperco 10†Front Spring
Hyperco 8†Rear Spring or Eibach 6†Rear Spring
WARNING – These COMMON INSTALLATION ERRORS will adversely affect the handling of the vehicle.
A. DO NOT ADJUST dampers prior to installation as they have been preset for proper initial use.
B. Vulcanized rubber suspension bushings must be tightened at ride height or adverse handling and premature failure of the bushings will result. (see instructions)
C. Proper ride height is a function of vehicle usage and spring rate. Ride heights below 25†will require proper spring rates and possible alignment corrections to avoid adverse handling. (please call tech support)
Please read ALL instructions prior to attempting installation. Please torque all fasteners to specifications
Torque Specifications
Upper spring perch to body locknuts (f)
Lower shock clevis nut (f)
OEM wheel bolts (f/r)
Upper shock & control arm mount to body (r)
Upper shock eye to upper mount (r)
Lower shock eye to lower control arm (r)
Upper control arm to upright (r)
20 Nm (15 lb ft)
90 Nm (66 lb ft) *
121 Nm (89 lb ft)
55 Nm (41 lb ft)
70 Nm (52 lb ft) + ¼ turn
70 Nm (52 lb ft) + ¼ turn *
50 Nm (37 lb ft) + ¼ turn *
* must be tightened with vehicle at or near ride height.
Instructions
Before removing any parts, park the car on a secure, stable and level surface, loosen (but do not remove) the wheel lug nuts, jack the vehicle up and place the car on four stable jack stands or use a professional vehicle lift. We recommend having two people available for certain steps of the installation.
Front Install Instructions
1. Securely support both front corners of the car (relieving tension on the ARB).
2. Remove front wheels.
3. Remove the Lower Front shock clevis bolt that attaches the fork of the shock to the lower front control arm.
4. Remove the Upper Front Control Arm bolt that attaches the upper control arms to the upright
5. From within the engine bay, remove the 3 bolts that attach the Upper Front Control arm plate to the body of the car.
6. Remove the spring and shock assembly from the vehicle. Be careful not to damage the front wheel speed sensor wire! (*Note* you may have to pull down on the upright slightly to facilitate removal).
You will be able to do steps 7 - 10 with the dampers off of the car
7. Please note (permanent pen) the location of the two M8 locknuts on the top side of the Upper Front control arm plate and which side (left or right) the plate is from.
8. Remove the two M8 locknuts from the top of the Upper Front control arm plate and keep, as they will be reused. Remove the damper assembly from the Upper Front control arm plate.
9. Insert the STaSIS front damper with mount (already attached) into the Upper Front control arm plate and insert the provided M8 serrated head bolts through the steel plate and Upper Front control arm plate and attach with the OEM M8 locknuts. Use the same orientation as the OEM nuts which you marked in step 7.
10. From the top side of the Upper Front control arm plate with STaSIS front damper and mount attached. Attach and torque the OEM M8 locknuts onto the STaSIS mount. PLEASE NOTE! You may need to use a wrench on the M8 serrated head bolts to keep them from turning while tightening the OEM M8 locknuts.
11. Image of an installed front damper.
12. Installation of the assembled front dampers is the reverse of removal.
Installing the OHLINS External Tethered Front Reservoirs
1. The front dampers in the kit include a tethered front reservoir and bracket that needs to be mounted. The line length and brackets are designed to work in various locations; this is the most suitable location that we have found. If you choose to mount the reservoirs in an alternative location, make certain that the hose does not come into contact with any moving parts, or any parts that may produce a lot of heat (exhaust manifolds, etc.). In any case, you’ll need to ensure that the hose runs UNDER the front upper leading control arm, and that with the suspension at full droop, there is NO contact with the control arm and the hose. If you need to adjust the position of the hose, take EXTRA care as the damper is under extreme pressure, and if you loosen that bolt, it will bleed off all of it’s pressure, and it will need to be sent back to STaSIS for servicing.
2. For the passenger side, remove the leading front fender liner enough to pass the reservoir through the fender liner. You will need to remove portions of the Air Box such that you can pass the canister between the Air Box and the Wheel Well and up to the firewall. Run the hose along the firewall by the bracket with harnesses attached, and then mount the reservoir bracket with the provide hardware. Ensure that there is not a lot of play in the reservoir mount, and that there is enough room for the driver side reservoir.
3. For the driver side, remove the leading front fender liner enough to pass the reservoir through the fender liner. You’ll need to disconnect the Washer Fluid tank such that you can pass the reservoir between the tank and the Wheel Well. Next, you’ll need to remove the coolant tank (3 screws) such that you can run the hose under the coolant tank.
4. Completed close up of the reservoirs attached.
Rear Install Instructions
1. Securely support both rear corners (relieving tension on the ARB).
2. Remove rear wheels.
3. Remove the bolt that goes through the lower control arm and the lower shock mounting point (*Note* do NOT try to pull the shock from the lower control arm). (19mm, 19mm)
4. Remove the upper control arm outer mounting bolt. (*Note* make a note of the orientation of the concave washer). (18mm, 19mm)
5. Push down on the upright assembly with just enough force so that the lower control arm pulls free from the lower shock eye.
6. Remove the four bolts that hold the spring and upper control arm bracket to the body of the car. (17mm)
7. Remove the spring, shock, upper control arm and mount as a unit from the car. Be careful not to damage the rear wheel speed sensor wire! (*Note* you may have to push down on the lower control arm assembly to facilitate removal).
8. Use a spring compressor to remove the load from the spring, and then remove the bolt that holds the top of the damper. Follow the spring compressor manufacturers instructions on how to compress the spring. (19mm, 18mm)
9. Remove the spring and damper assembly from the mount
10. Install damper into the upper control arm bracket (picture shows a modified cutaway bracket). Use the O.E. fastener and tighten to approximately 52 ft/lbs.
11. Install spring/shock/upper control arm and mount into car as one assembly. Reverse the install procedure starting at step 6 and working towards step 1. When you are installing the lower control arm to shock connection, line up the shock eye with the suspension arm and then press up on the upright to push them together. This requires a bit of force, as it is a slight interference fit. Use NEW locknuts on the lower shock mount and the upper control arm to upright attachment points. The final torque of these two attachment points should to be done with the vehicle on the ground and at the approximate ride height to properly set the rubber bushings. We recommend using Original Equipment (OE) Audi locknuts, which can be obtained from your local dealer
If you have any questions during this installation, please email (info@stasisengineering.com) or call STaSIS Engineering at 707.935.9700.
STaSIS Engineering
Ride Height Adjustment for Motor Sport Coil Over kit
Hyperco Springs/Custom Valved Ohlins Threaded Aluminum Dampers
Final ride height adjustment procedure:
1. After completing installation of the kit set the vehicle on the ground and MAKE SURE IT’S ON A LEVEL SURFACE. VERY IMPORTANT!
2. Measure the ride height of the vehicle at four points for future reference. We recommend measuring from the center of the wheels to the bottom of the fender lip.
3. If you are pleased with this ride height then you are done, save the measurements for future reference. If not continue to step 4.
4. Calculate the difference between the actual ride height and the ride height you would like the car to sit at for the right front wheel. For optimum handling we recommend this be done with the driver in the car and ¾ of a tank of fuel. We recommend that the distance between the center of the wheels and the bottom of the fender lip be 13.50 inches. Below 13.0 inches the suspension is operating too close to its maximum bump travel and handling can be negatively impacted.
5. The ratio between shock body motion and wheel motion is about 0.7 to 1. This means that the wheel travels about 1 inch for every 0.7 inches of shock body travel. Therefore, for example, if you wanted to lower the car ½ inch from its current ride height at the right front wheel, then you would have to lower the lower spring perch on the right front shock body by ½ x 0.7 = 0.35 inches.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for the left front, left rear and right rear wheels.
7. Armed with the data from steps 4,5 & 6, securely jack the car up and place it on four jack stands. Remove the wheels if necessary to reach the lower spring perches. Loosen the lower locking perch and thread the spring perch up or down by the amount you have calculated in step 5. Record the location of the perch so you can have it as a future reference if needed. Once the desired height is attained, tighten the lower locking perch against the spring perch.
8. Place the wheels back on the car and lower it to the ground. Go to step 2. Make sure the car is in the exact same location as before and press up and down on the car 3 or 4 times at each of the four wheels to settle the suspension before you make any measurements.
Maintenance Instructions for Motor Sport Coil Over kit
Hyperco Springs/Custom Valved Ohlins Threaded Aluminum Dampers
Monthly maintenance:
The STASIS Coil Over system is designed to provide superior service for the lifetime of your vehicle with a minimum of preventative maintenance. We recommend the following steps are performed monthly, preferably before winter season. Vehicles that are exposed to more abusive environments, such as sea salt, road salt or dirt roads may necessitate more frequent maintenance.
1. Securely support the vehicle on four jack stands and remove the road wheels.
2. Clean the threaded portion of the damper with a non metallic brush using soap and water.
3. We recommend lowering or raising the lower spring perch to allow access to clean the threaded portion of the damper that is covered by the perches.
4. Lubricate the threaded portion of the damper with “Gewindaspray†or a similar wax based lubricant.
5. Return the perches to their original location and tighten the locking perches.
6. Check the rear spherical bearings and verify that they are properly lubricated. If necessary, lubricate the spherical bearings. If you have any questions about this, please call STaSIS at 707-935-9700.
7. Secure the road wheels and return the vehicle to the ground. Watch that the springs seat properly on the spring perches.
Post Service maintenance:
The STaSIS Motor Sport Coil Over system is designed to be as maintenance free as possible. However, some basic observations of the system can mitigate potential problems most often encountered after service work is performed on the vehicle.
The rear dampers in the B5 Chassis may shows signs of rubbing on the outboard face of the damper. This is an alignment issue with the rear sub-frame of the car. If you notice rubbing on the damper body, please contact us for some suggestions on how to resolve this. *Note* this is not a flaw in the system, but rather an inconsistency in build of the chassis.
While the system is designed to be self-aligning, we encourage you to observe that the springs are properly seated on the lower spring perches after the vehicle has been lifted for maintenance. Lower ride heights will leave a gap between the spring and lower perch when the road wheels are allowed to hang at full droop for an extended period of time. This is necessary to provide the range of adjustment designed into the suspension. In road going use the damper should not allow the spring to part from the spring perch.
When checking the spring seats or cleaning the threaded bodies, we encourage you to look for any signs of wear on the inside of the springs or the threaded portion of the damper that the spring was misaligned after maintenance was performed on the vehicle. If you observe this situation on an ongoing basis please call technical support at 707.935.9700.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

haha that didnt include the pics! agh! but go to that page bro

Old 12-30-2005, 03:19 PM
5th Gear

i found a couple on aw that were alright but not that great...i ended up using the bentley manual. there really is no substitute for the bentley

Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: bentframe

i found a couple on aw that were alright but not that great...i ended up using the bentley manual. there really is no substitute for the bentley
Really? I just got the Bentley manual for xmas. I assume it was the exact same for replacing stocks to put on aftermarkets? Was it a tough job for your first time? Like i said before my bro could help me a little cuz he installed c/o's on his e36 but i would want a really solid idea of what im getting into or im just gonna take it to my local tuner shop.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:39 PM
5th Gear

i had my brother helping me too...it's not difficult, just takes a little while. there is one bolt that's a pretty big bitch to remove, but some people don't have any trouble with it...i had to take a rubber mallet to mine for a good 15 minutes....yours is a newer a4 though, you probably wont run into any problems..pm sandman, he just put his aftermarket spring/shock combo on a few days ago

Old 12-30-2005, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

its actually very easy. everything comes out and gues in fairly simply. Just the bitch bolt. Anyone who has done this knows what the bitch bolt it. Case of beer. a spliff if thats your thing , and alot of beating and patience. i have to buy an air hammer for one of mine. h yea, and pick up a new set of bitch bolts from your local parts store. I COVERED mine in Anitseeze when I put em back in

Old 12-30-2005, 06:02 PM
3rd Gear

its not too hard, i didnt have trouble with the devil bolt but i did have
some trouble getting my rear shocks off my liwer control arms,
i just hit it with a hammer and it eventually broke loose. the worst
part is using manual spring compressors, theyll make you sweat
and land some good sized blisters on your hands.....

Quick Reply: Suspension DIY?