Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Stupid Cruise Control

When we bought our A4 the Cruise did not work. So after reading on here it is probably the little silver Control Module I go ahead and replace it with a used one I found. Get out on the Highway and it works again. So I drive it home shut it off for the night. Go out the next day get on the highway and the damn thing is not working again[:@]. WTF makes these modules go bad

Old 12-23-2007, 09:31 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Stupid Cruise Control

Lol. So maybe i shouldn't go rip mine out?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

It may be the stalk that is flaky, not the module. If the stalk is randomly freaking out, it won't matter what module you put in. Search out "cruise control" on here - sineo had a recent post about fixing her CC, and included a link to a stalk diagnostic that didn't require removing the steering wheel.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

I'll check into the Stalk. But even if it does need cleaning seems like it would have worked before I replace the module. We've had the car for about 2 years and it's never worked I replace the module and it works for one day and than stops again. Just seems to be more than dirty contacts.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

I believe the typical problem with cruise control modules is cracked solder joints, probably due to poor manufacturing since the problem is so common. The chances of you getting another bad CCM is extremely good if you're buying it used. One way you may be able to tell is to pull the module out from above the glove box and let it hand out while driving. Go for a drive on the highway and try to set your cruise. If it doesn't work smake the CCM with the handle of a screwdriver a couple times- check to see if you can set it. If it starts working agian then you definately have cracked solder joints. There's a DYI on one of the message boards somewhere. It's not too difficult to fix.