Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Waste-Gate? HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Default Stuck Waste-Gate? HELP PLEASE

I have an 02' A4 quattro, and i am starting to have some problems. first off when i shut the car off, i occationally hear a slight dragging sound as the turbo spools down. i am worried for the obvious, but confused because its intermittent. i know to let the thing cool down before shut-off, and i have been really good about it, and the car only has 60k miles. so what gives?

next problem is the waste gate. i can hear it sticking ie there is a gurgling type sound when i jump of the gas as it opens, it was never like this before. i am used to a crisp sound, just not sure whats up. what do i do? i am fairly mechanically inclined, but a little intimidated because the car is so new and i dont want to screw anything up.

also, what oil do you guys/gals run? i rarely hammer on the car, and when i do i always let it cool. i do have a stage 1 chip, but again i rarely use it because the car sucks so much gas. i need to get a new owners manual and a repair manual, any suggestions besides the dealer? thanks!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Stuck Waste-Gate? HELP PLEASE

heh, my car with the gtrs and the way i drive, I still get about 21mpg. As far as the wastegate goes, what you are describing doesnt sound like the wastegate. Unless it is stuck open or closed, in which, you would feel no power or a jerk after getting on it. Sry, I dont really understand the prob but I doubt it is with the wastegate.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:49 PM
2nd Gear

Are you sure the dragging sound is coming from the turbo?

When you get "of" the gas? I assume you mean off the gas and the typo was a missing "f" not mistyped "n." You could be hearing the air rush out of the DV back into the intake.

As for a manual, get the bentley manual...you can buy it at amazon.com or ebay
You can get an owners manual on ebay.
Oil use 5W30 or 10W30 synthetic...any manufacturer. I use 5w30 Castrol Syntec. Audi recommends Castrol. Many people use Royal Purple, Mobil 1, and Amsoil. All are good.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:43 PM

sorry for the typo, yes i meant off the gas. it used to be such a clean rush of air, but in the past few weeks it is starting to sound like something is obstructing it, i just dont know any other way of describing it.

as far as the dragging sound, when i shut my car off i can hear the turbo (i think) spool down, i think its the turbo because the engine is completely stopped, so there is nothing else i assume is still spinning. it is faint and intermittent, but i want to adress it before it becomes a problem. do you know of anything like this? have others complained about the turbo going bad after only 60k miles?

Old 01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 4whldrft

as far as the dragging sound, when i shut my car off i can hear the turbo (i think) spool down, i think its the turbo because the engine is completely stopped, so there is nothing else i assume is still spinning. it is faint and intermittent, but i want to adress it before it becomes a problem. do you know of anything like this? have others complained about the turbo going bad after only 60k miles?
I have an '02, and it does the same thing. When I'm done driving, I just park the car, and let it sit for about 10 seconds, then shut it off. I hear the same noise after I turn it off, for about 5 seconds. It's the turbo spinning down. Nothing you can do about that.... Perfectly normal...

Old 01-28-2006, 03:04 AM

the spooling down sound from the turbo is not my concern, its the slight squeek and occational dragging sound that I hear is what has me worried. its just not making sense how it could be intermittent.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear

where do you live.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:16 PM

Southern cali.