Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Throttle? But not.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Stuck Throttle? But not.

This morning on my drive to work in the Lovely +3*F weather, the trottle on my car got stuck, or it would appear so. While driving the car was constantly accellerating, and made it extremely difficult to stop and keep it stop as when in drive it was holding 2200 rpms.

I got it to a big parking lot that gave me a runway of sorts to get it stopped in. With a few attempts of flooring and letting it return, nothing helped, so I turned the car off. Then placed it in park (as i did not want to shift thru the gears with it reving). The moment I turned the car on it jumped to 5100 RPMs. HHrrmm not to good.

So I tried it again, same accord, I went under the hood and banged on the tubes of the air intake that go into the manifold hopping to maybe giggle the throttle.

I also took the key and turned it on off on off on off on off on off on off a bunch of times quickly before starting it, incase to reset something.

I then took to restarting the car, she started and went to the proper 750ish rpms.

WTF just happened to my car???????

It is a 1998 Audi A4 avant. I know there is some cold weather vacuum line recall that need to be done, but I am pretty sure that is a brake issue.

Suggestions? I would prefer to not have to take it to Satan.

Old 12-14-2005, 12:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Stuck Throttle? But not.

FYI car is running fine now, just want to prevent this from happening in the future if this is a sign of any key thing known broken, as this was a huge safety problem having the car want to go while brakes said stop.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Heinzanova

FYI car is running fine now, just want to prevent this from happening in the future if this is a sign of any key thing known broken, as this was a huge safety problem having the car want to go while brakes said stop.
Is that you in the picture? Hmmm that food looks alright... You dont have DBW if its a 98 so I wouldnt think it is something electrical, unless its some kind of choke valve type thang. This reminds me of the 1988 Audi 5000 S enginge runaway story that was well heard of about 10 years ago. Some chick was drving and her throtle got stuck and she almost died. That made a bad name for audi for a while. Anyway.. Get diagnostic test done at autozone or something, there should be a record of whatever was wrong, or any fault codes.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:12 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

ORIGINAL: Heinzanova

Is that you in the picture? Hmmm that food looks alright... You dont have DBW if its a 98 so I wouldnt think it is something electrical, unless its some kind of choke valve type thang. This reminds me of the 1988 Audi 5000 S enginge runaway story that was well heard of about 10 years ago. Some chick was drving and her throtle got stuck and she almost died. That made a bad name for audi for a while. Anyway.. Get diagnostic test done at autozone or something, there should be a record of whatever was wrong, or any fault codes.
No that is Lauren5757 from this message board cooking me dinner.
and yes the food was amazing, so was the desert.

Basically that run away audi is what happened to me, one intersection I was standing on the ******* brake and it just didnt wanna complete stop. Had the pedal to the floor. Damn car tried to kill me. My only concerne is will the computer even have a log if it was something physical that happened? I mean will there be a log saying, cable snag

Old 12-14-2005, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

I had an '85 Jetta once that had the same problem. Turned out the actual accelerator pedal was stuck on something. I reached down and jiggled it a little and it worked fine after that. I know that things are a lot more high tech now but you never know.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear

I had this problem a bucha times except it got stock at wot bouncing off an 8000rpm limiter. In my case I had a rubber intercooler piped that was balooning up on boost on holding the throttle open. just try greasing the cable or something

Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
2nd Gear

i was replacing my intercooler one day, and i put some paper towel in the intake manifold, when i put the hoses back on, i forgot it was there and when i turned on my car it jumped to like 3000 rpms. scared me shitless for a second then i was like "ohhhhhh..... fukin Z..."

(Z's my name)

Old 12-14-2005, 05:21 PM
1st Gear

Do they make some type of grease for cool temps or special for this application that can get down and inside that sealed cable?

Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear

regular oil no? like from any auto store, the one's that say "oil" and have that wierd top that u pull open...