Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange sound from right rear of car

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:33 AM
Default strange sound from right rear of car

Hi all,

Just bought my first Audi and absolutely love it. Maybe somebody with more knowledge than me can help me out. I've had it for a little over a week and just this morning on the way to work it started making a very strange whooshing noise while in idle. It's cyclic and and sounds like perhaps a belt or some liquid sloshing around. I've pinpointed it to just in front of the right rear wheel. Is this a fuel pump issue? I'm still under warrany as i'm below 50,000 miles and am wondering if anybody can shed some light on the issue. I'll take it in if it sounds like there might be some issue. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Default RE: strange sound from right rear of car

Welcome to the forums! What year/engine is it? Is it something you could make a sound clip of? From the way you describe it, it doesn't sound like the fuel pump, yet is in that general area.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 AM

It's a 2004 A4 1.8T with the ultra sports package. It is coming from just north of the right rear wheel. My phone can't take a clear enough recording of it, but surprisingly, the weird sound is a lot less pronounced now, but still there. I don't know what would have caused the sound to originate in the first place from my 15 mile journey to work...I was driving very conservatively.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:11 AM

Hmmmnnn....
I think I have that same thing going on in the same year and model B6 as yours. I get a slight, slight sputtering sound, too, and I believe all of it is the fuel pump. It's very noticeable when either of the right-side doors are open. I am also still under warranty and was thinking about taking her in for an inspection to find out what's up. I'll keep you updated on any news. BTW- what type of gasoline do you use? Me- Chevron premium 91.

Is there any diff. between a Sport model and an Ultra-sport model? I'm too tired/lazy to search right now.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Site Moderator

If it makes the noise everytime you first start the engine its the fuel pump trying to push the fuel through the fuel filter, when the filter starts getting plugged it kinda sounds like a humm or a belt slipping but comes from the rear of the car. Try replacing the fuel filter first, which is right in front of the right rear wheel by the way.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

I agree with auditech and am in the same position I brought it to my mechanic yesterday for a knocking sound when I take off and when I stop in the rear passenger side and he told me that the fuel filter sounds clogged change that first then if the sound continues change the fuel pump

Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 PM

I use Chevron premium gas as well, 91 or 92. The sound is only audible when i'm in idle, and it sounds like a loose belt, so i'm thinking it's the fuel filter or possibly the fuel pump like auditech suggested. Flarika, if your car is still under warrany, i'd take it in to the dealership. Mine's at 40k miles so i'm taking mine in on Friday and the warranty should cover it.

The ultra sports package is mostly cosmetic, and has different trim. It looks very similar to an S4. I've heard it has an upgraded, more sporty suspension, but I've also read on this site that it's not any different than any other A4's suspension. The dealership told me it had a different suspension, for what it's worth.

I'll let you know if it indeed was the fuel filter/pump.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:36 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: auditech79
If it makes the noise everytime you first start the engine its the fuel pump trying to push the fuel through the fuel filter, when the filter starts getting plugged it kinda sounds like a humm or a belt slipping but comes from the rear of the car. Try replacing the fuel filter first, which is right in front of the right rear wheel by the way.
Keep in mind that there is a secondary fuel pump inside the gas tank that pushes the fuel from one part to the other. Almost sounds like sucking through a straw in a glass nearly empty. The gas tank is like an upside down U to account for the quattro drive train, so it needs to get fuel from one side to the other where the fuel line is.

Common to hear this right when you start the car. Of course if what you are hearing is a constant noise even a while after starting the car then I would agrre with everyone above and say change the fuel filter. Thats the cheapest option first... but with under 50K miles it sounds improbable. Your pump could simply be dying.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like you may need to change your fuel filter, thats exactly where it is located on the B6's all of 12 inches in front passenger rear tire,