Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Window Tinting and Outer Tie Rods - HATE MD Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Default Stock Window Tinting and Outer Tie Rods - HATE MD Inspection

So I just purchased another Audi, it's got a 20% window tint and I was going to register it in MD. They only allow 35%. So the though process is, they will not pass an inspection unless you go to the State Police and have them actually measure the amount of light that passes through. I'm not going to pass.

I want window tinting and I'm pissed that I'm going to have pay to have it removed and then have new window tining put on.

Anybody know what the stock amount of light is that will pass through? I know some windows come standard with a 90% as far as allowing 90% of the light to enter, etc.

Also, I just did a little searching and I can't seem to find a good place to purchase an outer tie rod. Any suggestions?

So I either register it in MD as I was planning as taxes are only 5% or I register in OK where taxes are stupid like 8 or 9%. Can't remember. With OK, I would be able to keep the Tint, so I'm debating if it's worth actually registering in MD or not.

Shoot me some ideas/opinions/recomendations/etc.

-Russ

Old 10-06-2005, 02:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Stock Window Tinting and Outer Tie Rods - HATE MD Inspection

Bummer man, i can't help u but i was wondering if u could post som pics of ur car with ur tint since i plan to tint 20%. Do u have a photo album maybe??

Old 10-06-2005, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

i have 5% tint all around, ive had my state inspection done and have never had a problem with any of my cars. i just ask the guy if he will pass me and ive never had them say no. and if that doesnt help you, my friend has a trans am with limo tint, before he goes in he just rolls down the front windows then takes out the window motor, you can still pass inspection without working front windows .

Old 10-06-2005, 03:55 PM
dan
2nd Gear

At least in PA, I don't think the inspection guys are allowed to roll up your windows if they are down when you enter the inspection station.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:20 PM
2nd Gear

tie rod end go to www.ecstuning.com or call (ecs) 800.924.5172 and ask for rob make sure you get the upgraded ones. total cost was around $55 for one or you can puchace both for like $100. just replaced one about 10 min ago. not hard at all to do. here are some instructions tie rod install

good luck
harry b

search around for shops that turn a blind eye on stuff like tint and exhaust. mybe not the closest to ya but worth it so you wont have to take off your tint.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the link for the Tie Rod Ends. I'll be getting one of these soon. Do you know how long it takes to ship them?

Godfather, as soon as I get my personal computer back, I'll post up some pics. It looks REALLY good with 20%.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 10-07-2005, 02:30 AM
2nd Gear

In pa as a state inspector you cant fail for window tinting only a cop can get you for that. As far as maryland the cool part is you get inspected once and then random pull emmisions. SO there are good and bad sides. I take you are being stationed in andrews. If so there is a place in Bowie that may turn an eye to the 20% I will try to get the name and number.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:39 AM

Oh man that would be awesome. I was actually stationed at Bolling and have now moved to the great state of Oklahoma at Vance AFB. So if I can't get it registerd in MD I'll just take it out to OK and get it registered with no Inspection at all.

But yeah, if you know of a place that would be great. And will they just not pay attention to the window tinting at all, or will I need to hint in that direction or what? I've gotten an inspection done already, and that was the only thing that didn't pass. The station I took it to said I would need to stop at a MD State Police station so they can get their little fancy gadget out and tell me if I'm legal or not. Would thisplace be willing to sign off on the just the Window part .... man any info on this would be help.

Awesome, thanks!

Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Hey i'm at Bolling AFB now.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:55 PM

Awesome, with what unit?