Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo System Finished (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Stereo System Finished (finally)

Alright everyone I finally finished my audio system in my car. I've included some pics below and I just want to say it sounds awesome. I'll be the first to admit that I won't win any bass contests but it sounds crisp and it's more than enough sound for the kind of music I listen to. I was able to keep the factory head unit too. That was a big "must" for me as I didn't want to go aftermarket on the headunit.

First of all I didn't have the Bose package. The amp is an Eclipse 5 channel amp. It is driving all my door speakers and let me tell you, once you have a good amount of power driving the factory door speakers they sound really really good. I was originally going to replace all my door speakers as well but even the car audio place I took it to told me not to. I can hear all the high's and it can get really really loud without any distortion.

I had a custom box made to fit in the storage cubby in my trunk. It is mostly fiberglass with a MDF front. The sub in there is a 10" Diamond Audio D3. The Eclipse amp is running the sub also. I had a couple of local places recommend Diamond Audio and they were right. I was unsure how it would sound way in my trunk and it only being 1 speaker but it hits really hard and I can't be more happy with how it sounds. I definitely give Diamond Audio my highest recommendation for their subs. The place that built the box then put a grill over it and it's like you don't even know the speaker is there. And also it's protected from groceries and stuff. If anyone is looking to upgrade their sound system and not lose any trunk space I would recommend this setup.

Excuse the dirty trunk (I'll have to vacuum it out this weekend)

Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Stereo System Finished (finally)

looks good man, nice and clean set up you got there

Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

I've considered doing the same thing. Get a cheap 4 channel amp: 2 channels for a sub, 2 channels for the fronts/rears. It's good to know that it's a feasable (and worth it) plan.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:45 PM
5th Gear

IMO you should get a decent 4 channel for the fronts and rears and run a seperate monoblock amp for the sub, its really your best bet

Old 04-26-2006, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Hey buddy.
that is a neat job.... I was thinking of doing something like this but not in few weeks.... Need to fix my ****in timebelt..then gather some money for this stuff..... First basics then mods..
BTW how much did it cost?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

The only thing I might change if I did it all over again is that give more power to the sub. My amp is only pushing either 200 or 280watts RMS (can't remember what ohm it is) to the sub and the sub handle up to 400. I thought about what you talking about but in the end I only wanted 1 amp in the car. Agreed that it probably would sound louder with more power.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

You have the AudiSymphony?

Old 04-26-2006, 10:08 PM
5th Gear

dude at 280 rms you are barely even touching that sub with power, you need to get another amp, mount it upside down on the package tray that way its out of the way, it will sound soo much better when you acutally have some power to that thing

Old 04-26-2006, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

I went through the internet for just about everything except installation (of course). Here is how it came out. I got all brand new stuff but didn't really care about warranty since it was so much cheaper.
Eclipse 5 channel Amp: $240
10" Diamond Audio D3 Sub: $100
Custom Box: $250
Amp Install & Wiring: $225
Total: $815

Since I wanted to keep the factory Symphony II head unit I had to use 2 hi-low converters (front & rear). You need these to get the audio signal from the stock headunit to the amp. I read on here that you may lose some quality by using these converters but if you do I can't tell at all. Then I had to buy an amp kit, RCA's and I believe they had to run new speaker wire too but not too sure about that. Installation costs suck. I spent more than I thought I would on this project but isn't that always the case when it comes to Audi's.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

yea i wouldnt have let them do hi-low converters they suck as hardcore, you should have had then tap directly in to the line output and solder in female rca's its so much better that way

Quick Reply: Stereo System Finished (finally)