Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel shakes when braking..

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering wheel shakes when braking..

Hello,
My B6 A4's steering wheel shakes when I apply the brake. It usually does it when I'm braking from more than 50mph to a slow down. The steering wheel shakes like there's something loose. I did have the car serviced for its 70k maintenance @ a local VW dealership(cost $135 btw for oil change) yesterday, they said the brake pads are good but they did notice the CV boot is worn out. Could this cause all the shaking? Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:06 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Steering wheel shakes when braking..

Hey, sounds like your rotors are warped to me, try resurfacing or replacing your front rotors.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Second. Just because the pads are good, doesn't mean that the rotors aren't shot.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

check to see if the rotors, the big shiny metal circles, have any holes or grooves in them. Make sure to check the inside too. they should be extremely smooth. Check when the car is COLD!!! not right after driving them and use your fingernail to feel for grooves. Like i said, check the inside of them aswell. if not smooth - replace them... if they are smooth remove the wheels and then try to shake the rotors. if they shake then tighten up all the bolts.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 PM
4th Gear

Sounds like warped rotors. A garage should have a runout gauge that can check if they are warped. I wouldn't get them resurfaced. They are likely to re-warp soon after. Replace them with new.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
3rd Gear

rotors.

problem solved

Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Yup rotors.

I experienced the same problem before.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Site Moderator

Alright before you just go and throw a set of rotors on there all gun ho, have a mechanic measure the run out of the hub before throwing on another set of rotors. If you or the previous owner bumped into something the hub might be bent. In other words you can throw on a set of rotors and it would fix your problem for about 500 miles or so (depends on how bad the bend) then the rotors will warp all over again. I've seen it too many times.
Its an easy procedure and will save you some serious money in the long run if the hub is actually bent.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: jonsaudi

(cost $135 btw for oil change)
i hope youre kidding!! can you really not unscrew one bolt to drain your oil and take your right hand and unscrew the filter? you could have done 3 synthetic oil changes yourself for that much

Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

if its a very radical shaking it could be your abs sensors. or yes rotors. or you lower control arm could have just fallen off on the highway on a 100 miles drive and you'll be sitin there freakin out in your 2.8 12v scared to look underyour car at what could be wrong. oh wait thats was me.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes when braking..