Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel leather.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Steering wheel leather.

I guys. I'm new here (and to forums in general), so I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed, even though I can't find it.

Anyway, I have a 2004 A4 1.8T. The car is great. My only complaint is that the steering wheel is so damn slick! I have to have a death grip on it or my hands will just slide up and down and the car won't turn! So, I'd like to get the steering wheel re-upholstered. I'm in the Boston area and I've been having trouble finding shops that do it. Has anyone done it before? Was it expensive? Positive/negative outcome? If you're in the Boston or New England area, can you suggest a good trustworthy shop that will do it?

Final question, if anyone has done it, are there any potential airbag problems? I don't have audio controls on my steering wheel, so the only things that can potentially get messed up are the horn and the airbag.

Thanks everyone.

K

Old 05-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Steering wheel leather.

You need one of these:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...l_1897_2417250

You may have seen school bus drivers take advantage of this mod back in the day?

Old 05-10-2006, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

I knew what that was without even opening the link!

Old 05-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Site Moderator

I wouldnt go ruining the looks of the nice leather steering wheel with any kind of reapustary job or cover.. Just get used to it and practice your kung foo grip. Ya sure it hasnt been cleaned with armor all or leather cleaner lately??

Old 05-10-2006, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Careful if you do intend on using a suicide ****. Some states require either a licence or some sort of training or reason for having one.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

I will definately NOT use the ****! It hasn't been cleaned in over 6 months.

I once sat in a BMW 330i Performance Package, which comes with an alcantaral leather-wrapped wheel, and it felt soooooooo good!!! I want mine to be like that!

Old 05-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jovian

Careful if you do intend on using a suicide ****. Some states require either a licence or some sort of training or reason for having one.
hmmm.. Im sure he was seriously considering it... ugh... SOBER POLICE!!

Old 05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
4th Gear

I once sat in a BMW 330i Performance Package, which comes with an alcantaral leather-wrapped wheel, and it felt soooooooo good!!! I want mine to be like that!
I hate that slick leather feel[:'(] If thats what you want then go out and search for a shop that will do that...Here in NYC there are plenty of shops that specialize in reupholstery, expensive though. Yea that alcantaral leather is sweeeet.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, maybe the next time the Sox are in NYC playing the Yankees, I'll drop my car off at a shop in the city and spend the weekend watching the games. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

I found a shop in my area that's willing to ship my steering wheel to california and outfit me with a temporary steering wheel while it's being re-wrapped. Thanks, but no thanks.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel leather.