Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Rumbling

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Banned
Default Steering Rumbling

I have a used 97 A4 and whenever I turn my steering wheel all the way to the right or left and start manuevering the car for a turn I can hear and slightly feel a rumbling. This only occurs when making really tight turns. Can anyone explain this? Does it damage my steering? And do i need to replace/repair anything?

Old 10-16-2005, 05:18 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Steering Rumbling

the steering system should never be held at what is know as full lock ( pressing it agenst the stops ) for more than a second. the pressur will build an cause premature failer of steering componants. The answer is to hit the stop on either side and then back off just alittle, you should be able to feel when the sensation goes away and at that point you have tuned back enough. As for if anything is damaged, it is unlikely, you will notice a whine or stiff steering acopanied by a pulsing sensation duirng the turning of the steering wheel if there are problems.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

What Flyboy said is true, also when you run it all the way to the stops it strains your powersteering pump hardcore. If we all had Hondas, we could take those things out and boost another 5 horses out of the car. Hahaha. Well, I guess powersteering really is useless after 10 MPH anyway. That'll be my next mod for the "un-moddable" 2.8....

Old 10-16-2005, 01:26 PM
6th Gear

Yep it's all explained in the owners manual (at least in mine).

Old 10-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Banned

Sorry I bought my A4 used so I don't have an owner's manual. Jestnomen could you explain to me what you're talking about? I did some research and thought it might be a problem with the bushings on my control arms being dried out.

I meant to say earlier that this problem occurs when I take tighter turns on local. I didn't mean steering full lock. Could anyone tell me if it is the bushings that are causing this? And has anyone also run into this same problem?

Old 10-16-2005, 03:39 PM
6th Gear

If you are sitting still and you turn the steering wheel all the way to the stops the rmps will drop and the car will groan a little. Is this the noise you are speaking of? Control arms usually cause squeeking over bumps. Describing sounds over the internet can be a little tricky. [&:]

Old 10-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned

Any reason why rpms will drop when u steer to the stops?

I don't hear squeeking over bumps. ya describing the sound is hard. But it is kinda like a groan or rumble I hear and feel a little in the steering mostly when im turning in low mph (prob under 5). Is this normal? or does it have to do with the bushings of the control arm?

Old 10-16-2005, 06:28 PM
4th Gear

This is not bushings or control arms. It sounds like you have the steering turned to the max. This puts tremendous pressure on the components. The rpm will drop because of drag on the engine.

You should not do this on any car with power steering, Audi or otherwise.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:46 PM
4th Gear

another factor may be that your fluid is getting old and the viscosity is lacking so you cant build the preasure needed to trun the wheels. you will feel this no matter if you are turning full lock or just from strait. I have a similar prob and just deal with it you can flush your fluid be be sure to use the recomended fluid avalible at your dealer or ECStuning.com.