Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Hi there

"Cranking" is when the starter is turning the engine over--the chug-chug sound you get when you turn the key to "start". "Catching" is when it starts up (vroom), and you release the key.

Sometimes starting problems are hard to diagnose on a forum due to the symptoms not being clearly communicated. Sometimes people say "turn over" to mean "cranking", or to mean "starting up". When I hear "it isn't turning over", that means to me it "isn't cranking", as in no chugga or anything when the key is turned (e.g. dead battery). Technically "turn over" means the engine is moving, so if the car is going chug chug chug but isn't catching, it *is* turning over, it just isn't starting.

Anywho, if it takes a bit of cranking to get it to start when warm, I'd check the coolant temp sensor first. If it doesn't turn over (literally), then the battery, starter, or ignition switch are most likely the culprit.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Hi it's im bacvk again and stupid me for not changing the Cooling temp sensor while I could. It just got colder here and today I coudn't start the bugger again (1.8 t 1998 a4). The engine code is still po 116-engine coolant temp sensor, the rpms at time rev up, the car does not start (it cranks good many times) but today it didn't start for good 20 min, then died again and im sure it will do it again. Could someone reasure me that it is the Coolant sensor (which i am going to change anyways on monday-all places now closed) and nothing else ??? I located the sensor, read the instructions on "1.8t common troubleshooting guide" all leads to the coolant sensor as a first, then AMF as secondary and other common problems after like starter........
So basicly I only hope it is the sensor and i am going to find out on monday/tues when i change it. Also the bugger cost over 45 bucks at a dealership (In canada-where i am at) anyone know where to buy em for 5 bucks like it says in the D.I.Y. guide?
Thanks a lot peops.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:01 PM
4th Gear

The cts is the most likely cause, the only way to know for sure is to change it.

They cost about 10-20 dollars US at a dealer here, not sure what the exchange rate is, but 45 doesnt sound too crazy. Dont know where to get anything if you're in Canada,I have no clue.

Please post back to this same post Monday and let us know if it fixed it.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:46 AM
1st Gear

is there any places in this forum that demonstarte with pictures how to change the cts sensor (I know the how part from the diy, but the exact location im not aware of, (i located what looks like it right against the back wall of the engine in the middle of it , in the article it says it should be easier to get to it if i got 1.8 t, but still this looks way too easy, did i get the right location? thanks!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Ive been having the same exact problem, has anyone had any resolution to this?
My ride is currently in the shop and they tested all the solutions mentioned above, cts, battery...etc. Just received a call today and mentioned that my fuel pump was changed recently and this starting problem didnt start until 3-4 weeks after that. They are going to test to see if the fuel system isnt being primed before start?? They were just as stumped as everyone here.I will post when I hear from them tomorrow.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 AM
1st Gear

Nothing new on the starting problem. The shop replaced everything that needed to be and I still have a starting problem.

Does anyone know anything about fuel pumps causing this?

Old 05-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Site Moderator

Its the D*** ECT sensor!!!!!! If the tech knew his a** from a hole in the ground he would have checked the PID for the ECT when it was malfunctioning and it would read some crazy number like -40C or something stupid and it won't typically throw a fault which leaves most dummy techs scratching their head looking at the fuel pump like an ape!!!

Old 05-02-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

They replaced the ect sensor!

Old 05-02-2007, 04:27 PM
4th Gear

I had the same problem and just replaced the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor) and all my problems are gone!!!

Try that. It was $35 at the dealer.

JOsh