Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stand alone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear
Default stand alone?

sorry guys been here all this time and still have not picked up on what a stand alone is. i have an idea but would like to know for sure, thanks

Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: stand alone?

You get rid of the ECU, and all fuel management is adjusted/mapped manually, via the standalone fuel management system.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Administrator

if ur not a hardcore tuner and u arent very car knowledgable with engine you shouldnt get one

Old 03-13-2006, 05:08 AM
2nd Gear

It doesn't get rid of the ECU completely, it just gets rid of the section that handles Timing and A/F Ratio.

It's not that hard to tune with, and the possibilities are endless. It's always the first modification I invest in when I am seriously tuning a car. Luckily, with Hondas, there are free downloadable stane alone EMS programs that work just as good as AEM, Hondata, and other expensive programs.

So if you're considering modifying your car seriously, it's a good investment. Chips and specific tunes are great if you're modified the same way that the tune is set for... However, minor modifications can change A/F Ratio drastically. Example: A friend of mine has a Turbocharged 1995 Integra GSR, he was perfectly tuned, and they installed an AEBS Intake Manifold, and we went for a ride... Fuel cutting off the ***, leaning out badly at around 5,000RPM, having to load it up just to rev past that point. So it needed to be retuned.

So think about it.

If you're planning on modifying past what a specific chip is tuned for... A stand alone is a good idea. Even a MIKA system will do, you can adjust A/F Ratio and Timing with that system as well. If you're a baller, 034 EMS is it.

If you're on a low budget, but still want some tunability, an S-AFC/S-AFCII will suffice for A/F Ratio tuning, but Timing cannot be adjusted with that device. And we all know, the power is in the Timing adjustments. But you can at least get the car running good with an S-AFC.

That's my advice.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

thanks for clearing things up, i dont ever thing i will go that route but there is always alot of talk about it

Old 03-14-2006, 03:27 AM
2nd Gear

yea, chips are set programs that are meant to work with certain parts

get a standalone, and what was initally 275hp on a pre-programmed ecu, is now 300 hp with a much higher torque band

ask tomritt about it, i cant remember what he has, but he's got standalone

Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

Tom has 034efi Ic. if you have aDBC Audi you can use he Ic, only prob is that you have to buy new coils for wasted spark. THe stock coilpacks cant rev any higher than 7k without melting . I just gotta tune mine. just worked out all the bugs last night.. I found out after doing this install tha I don't know much about electronics,haha

Old 03-15-2006, 03:41 AM
2nd Gear

well, i mean, if you just found your favorite spot to look, and just stand there, by your self, that would be the poor man's standalone...

Old 03-15-2006, 06:02 PM
3rd Gear

And a real standalone usually will get rid of ur stock ecu completly, except on new cars with an immobilizer. There standalones where your stock ecu is kept are more piggybacks than standalone. Standalone, basically is standing alone, as in being the sole controller, standing alone from other controllers of the engine

It controls all functions, not only fuel but timing, cold starts, enrichments for cold weather, changes in ambiant air pressure, manifold air pressure, ambiant ait temp, coolant temp etc etc

Old 03-15-2006, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

what about like the little screen in the gague cluster? does it do that? or like all the trouble codes?

does it hook up to a vag-com? this stuff confuses me

Quick Reply: stand alone?