Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky Brakes -> Brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default Squeaky Brakes -> Brake upgrade?

Did some searching on our forum and I couldn't really find anything on this issue.

My brakes have begun to sqeak. I don't really feel a difference in stopping power, but needless to say I need new ones. Question is: what are my options- what have you guys done in this situation?

-replace pads from Audi
-use aftermarket pads
-brake upgrade from AWE with Zimmerman front/back cross drilled rotors, mintex pads, new brake lines and fluid for $500

I definately can't afford the big brake upgrade but if I do the AWE option, do you guys think there will be a noticeable increase in performance?

Old 01-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Default RE: Squeaky Brakes -> Brake upgrade?

ill sell you a porsche big brake kit for $800. this includes everything you need but brake pads. (you can reuse your old brake lines or for 100 bucks more ill give you some braided ones.) the calipers can be any color you want for no charge.

ive already sold a couple to people on AW an VWvortex and havent heard any complaints

Old 01-19-2005, 12:36 AM
6th Gear

I replaced my rotors with ECS slotted rotors and Hawk pads. Notable differance in stopping power.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:43 AM

ECS makes killer rotors

Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for that advice... actually, goin' home from school today, the brakes were fine and DID NOT sqeak, now I'm just thinkin'- do they do that if the car is really cold or something? (reason is- I'm trying to fork over all my doe to make the car go fast - chip,dv,etc instead of buying new brakes ya know).

Old 01-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Site Moderator

First of all, squeaky brakes does not mean you need new ones. Actually get in there and check the amount of pad left. Get some anti-squeal and apply it to the back of the pad (the side that touches the caliper). This might cure your problem - lots of times it is the pad vibrating because it is not secure in the caliper.

That said, I found slotted and drilled rotors to do nothing for performance, but its all personal opinion - when it comes to brakes there a millions of opinions. Hawk or PBR ceramic pads are better than OEM for bite. The A8 upgrade is a good option for anyone looking for better brake performance.

btw - I have talked to a couple people now that have warped their ECS true-floating rotors within the first couple months of running them.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:08 PM
6th Gear

How about you take a wheel off and check the pad thickness. Only way to tell what's going on. What year is your car?

Old 01-20-2005, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

the car is a 2000, isn't that what my sig says?

Yeah, thanks for all the info, I'm definately gonna check the pads out as soon it get's f*ucking warmer up here. When the weather is like in 10s as it has been for last couple of days, I tend to hibernate.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:05 PM

if its a 2000 it should have a sensor in the pads and it will come up on your display when the pads are low

Old 01-20-2005, 07:11 PM
6th Gear

Yeah that's why I was asking about the year. If the light hasn't come on yet, then you are probably ok. My brakes squeal every so often.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes -> Brake upgrade?