Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

split in wheel flange causing slow leak (2000 AF 2.8)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 AM
1st Gear
Default split in wheel flange causing slow leak (2000 AF 2.8)

[align=left]Once again, my fiancee's A4 threw another part today - one of the rear wheels developed a crack on the inside flange that meets the tire bead, causing a slow leak. I had it tanked at a tire shop and sure as daylight it's the wheel, not the tire. I realize it can't be properly fixed so I guess I'm looking to replace either that wheel, or all of them with something else.

It doesn't have the sport package, just the ordinary 5 spoke, 16" alloys. Couldn't reach an open parts dept. at any Audi shops today but my guess is that they'll want $400+ or so for a new one. While it was on the lift I also noticed a ding on the outside flange of the other rear wheel, which isn't encouraging. My guess is that they were once on the front and my fiancee pranged them into a few curbstones or potholes or something, because the metal is super thick on these wheels.

Ordinarily this would be a good time for a more sporting upgrade to 17's, but we just put new 16" treads on the car so that isn't an option.

FWIW they -look- like 16x6.5 wheels, ie., the base 2.8 alloys for that model year. So my questions are thus:

Will any of the later model OEM 16" wheels fit on a 2000 A4? There's a bunch of them on eBay but none have the offset spec'd. Besides, most of what's out there are just chromed refurbs, not true OEM's.

If not and we go with aftermarket wheels, what's the OEM offset and rim width for this particular car, and can you recommend any brands that don't need centering rings and/or offset plates?

Does anyone have a set of suitable 16" OEM wheels taking up space in their garage that you'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price? Some wear and tear is OK, but any dings around the flanges are an obvious deal breaker.

Thanks very much,

Kevin
[/align][align=left] [/align]