Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed limiter???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Speed limiter???

its still a good idea to get the z's......

Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear

of course, unless you really will never do those speeds, then it's a waste.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:50 PM
1st Gear

Well, of course... With Z-rated rubber and an APR chip I would of course be compelled to see what it could do.

True story, a little off topic but apropos with regard to top speeds and speed differential. Germany is legendary, of course, for its autobahns. People drive pretty damn fast. But for the most part, "pretty damn fast" is something in the 100-120 range, bearing in mind that it's still a working class country and the average Joe isn't driving around in anything much more than an Opel or a Volkswagen. Lots of Audis. A fair number of Saabs. What we know here as the E-class Merc is pretty common, too.

About a year and a half ago I was over there on business. I flew into Frankfurt from London, spent a couple days there and then had to spend a couple days in Dusseldorf before flying out of Frankfurt for the States. The best way to get from Frankfurt to Dusseldorf is to take the train. More specifically, the I.C.E., which is Germany's version of the ubiquitous high-speed bullet train. The I.C.E., along with its French counterpart, make Amtrak's stupid little Acela look like a puppy at a **** star convention. These buggers are fast.

So having concluded my stay in Dusseldorf I get the first train out of town (those who have actually been to Dusseldorf can relate to this desire) leaving at about 6:20 AM. The ride is about two hours and twenty minutes or so, in great comfort and with terrific service, if you spend the extra 20 bucks for a First Class ticket. Riding along, dozing off every once in a while, listening to my new iPod and watching the scenery blur by on a misty, gray morning.

About halfway through the trip there's a stretch of track that runs alongside one of the famous autobahns, just a couple hundred feet away. I looked out the window and noticed that there was very little traffic, that in fact by our standards the road was practically empty. I glanced back to the bulkhead at the front of the coach and noticed that the train was clipping along at 183mph - noticable because you can really feel the acceleration when they're getting it up that high. I look back to the highway and am absolutely astonished... floored, even... to see some guy in a dark silver 911 of some sort. There are a lot of different variations of the 911, and I'm no Porsche expert, but what was remarkable about this particular one was... he was passing the train. Not quickly, not "blowin' by us" or anything like that. But he was passing us. No doubt about it. I checked the display on the bulkhead again and sure enough, we were still doing 180+. The Porsche was probably doing somewhere between 190 and 195. It was absolutely incredible to watch. Made me want one, real bad.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear

I used to top out at 148 in my saab, I didn't trust it past hat because mine was notorious for randomly spinning out and I was gtting pretty close to redline.

Next time I go to Germany, I'll rent a ferrari or something for the day and take it out on the autobahn. Last time I was there I was like 7-8 so I couldn't drive.