Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker adapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 PM
ddd
1st Gear
Default RE: Speaker adapter

If i remember correctly they charged me around 8 pounds for two sets they shipped to me here in the philippines. It took about a month to get to me.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

Oh, you're in the philippines. Wow, a month is a long time to wait.

Old 06-26-2006, 02:29 PM
ddd
1st Gear

yup, but im pretty sure shipping to the states would be much faster......

Old 07-15-2006, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

I bought a pair of Boston Acoustics and installed the left speaker today on my 99 Audi A4.. It started to rain so I'm gonna have to postpone installing the right speaker until tomorrow.

Building that speaker adapter was a bitch. But after much trial and error, I finally got it installed. The weird thing is that the tweeter which was the easy one to install (pretty much dropped it in place and held it in place with the factory wire that was there), doesn't sound that good. The sound level is much lower than the factory tweeter from the door on the right side.

Do you guys have any idea if there's a factory crossover somewhere and at what frequencies does it split the signal? Any suggestions as to what I should check for this problem?

Old 07-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Site Moderator

coolvirus -so you don;t have your own crossovers? You are running this setup from the stock radio?

Old 07-17-2006, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

That's right brrman. I'm not using the Boston Acoustics crossover. I'm running the speakers from the stock radio. I'll eventually install an amp but that's down the road.

Just wondering that the problem might be.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Site Moderator

I believe this may be your problem, especially if you have the bose system. The boston crossovers correctly separate the frequencies for the components. You may be getting too much of the highs going to your mid range and not the tweets, or the opposite - to much low sent to the tweets.

The audi stock radio won't do that for you on aftermarket components very well at all. Not to mention the Bostons are probably pleading and crying for more amperage, because the stock headunit pumps out a pittance of what the speakers really need.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

I don't think I have the bose system. Mine is the "Concert" system (that's what it says on the tape deck).

But I see what you're saying. So how can I introduce the Boston Acoustics crossover to the mix? As far as I saw, the factory speaker cables are already split for the tweeter and the woofer inside the door. Would I need to run new speaker cable from the stock radio into the doors? (I hope not. That sounds like it's going to be a pain).

Old 07-26-2006, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

After the bad experience building the left door speaker adapter, I decided to just go ahead and order the adapters from Nexxia. I received them a couple of days ago and installed the speakers last night.

I tell ya, those adapters just make your life a whole lot easier!

Amp and a sub are next in line. Still deciding whether to replace the rear speakers or not. Not sure if it'll be worth it.