Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker adapter

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Speaker adapter

Seriously! What was that about?

Great picture brrman. Thanks.

One question though...is that the door panel? It looks like the speaker is mounted to the door panel and not the door frame like in most cars.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

yes. the speakers are mounted to the door panel.. [:@] I carved up my speakers' flush mounts to get them to fit, but the air in front of and behind the speaker are not sealed off from each other as the speakers are ideally intended. In my last car, the speaker mounted right onto the door skin of the frame, and the entire door was sealed off. Midbass was sweet... Too bad I couldn't say that about the car itself...

brrman, do you have problems getting that magnet down into the door? That's a 5.25" Kicker right?

Old 05-16-2006, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

immgeorge, just curious, if the door is mounted directly to the door panel, how is it that you have a gap in there? How big of a gap is it?

brrman, did you have a gap? If so, how did you solve this problem?

Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

The speakers are mounted to the door panel by 3 threaded protrusions. The stock speakers have a plate that is manufactured formed to fit. the threaded posts are horizontal, but the speaker opening is slanted, so it makes it tough for the aftermarket.

When i say door panel, i'm referring to the piece of plastic you actually see. The speakers are mounted to the back of that, that whole piece then connects to the metal door frame via clips and screws.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

Oh OK. I got ya now. I didn't know about the protusions. Guess we either have to make our own speaker adapter or buy one from Nexxia.

Thanks for the explanation. I now have a better understanding for what I'm getting into.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I wonder if ddd got his nexxia adapter in and installed, I would love to see some pics of those bad boys...

Old 05-16-2006, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

ddd, if you don't mind me asking...how much was the shipping for the speaker adapters?

Old 05-16-2006, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear

Brrman nice DIY!!!

Old 05-17-2006, 03:54 AM
Site Moderator

I have done this to both my 98.5 and my 2000 a4.

There is no gap - I got it so close there was just barely a little gap, but I put a small bead of silicone around the adapter, let it cure and then it formed a nice seal. The adapter took two or three prototypes before I got the fit I wanted.

I also cut down the screw posts that were on the panel so they did not hold the adapter so far away from the panel.

The Kickers were tough to get in there, some minor modification of the inner door frame edge had to be made, nothing that would ever be seen from within the cabin though. I currently have 5 1/4 Infinity Kappa Perfect in the front of the avant.

Here you can see the three posts for the screws (pre-cut off)

[IMG]local://upfiles/359/CFA58993A02C4879AD082D5FD13A3D1E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 AM
ddd
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: immgeorge

Yeah, I wonder if ddd got his nexxia adapter in and installed, I would love to see some pics of those bad boys...

Nope, i have not gotten it yet, im here in the phil so it myt take awhile b4 i get it. But im hoping to get it any day now, when i do i'll posts pics

Quick Reply: Speaker adapter