Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooo, how's that 2.8 been holding up??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Sooo, how's that 2.8 been holding up??

Eh, save yourself the trouble on the system and sh*tcan the whole OEM setup. I spent less than a day doing mine, which was DVD headunit, all speakers (plus two extra tweeters in the dash vents), all new wiring, sub, amp, and building and upholstering the box and amp panel. Believe me, while hearing the aftermarket headunit with the factory speakers was good (better than the OEM headunit), once you swap out the speakers for aftermarket you'll REALLY appreciate the improvement. Then add your sub and amp and tune it, and you'll end up vowing to rip any OEM stereo out of any car you buy as soon as you get it home. It's completely worth doing it.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 PM
5th Gear

I'd love to do that, but I'm pretty sure I don't quite have the money for it. lol. I really like the way my car sounds right now. The sub is, IMO, one of the best things you can do to a car. And the 4" Polks I've got in the front doors make for some very nice, clean highs.

I don't even know what the deal is with the car now, though. All of the sudden, my dad doesn't want to look at it. [8D]I think he's kind of worried about making the huge drive, only to get acrappy offer for the trade. Plus, I am, of course, the greediest person in the world for wanting totradean '01 for a '98, after heTOLD ME I COULD. We had a nice little argument, but little does he know, my car is listedon Craigslist.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:39 AM

Hi Everybody, I joined this forum a few months ago and wanted to thank all of you for your great advise. This has been a lot of help and I will also add some DIY instructions.

I have both a 2.8, 30V and a 1.8T. I purchased a 1998 A4 Quattro from my parents when they went green and bought a hybrid a year age. That has 2.8 Autowith about 150K on it. It has an oil leak that I am going to get to this weekend but the 2.8 is a great motor. Keep it in tune and change the 7 quarts of oil regularly and it will be very reliable, predictable, and yes a little boring. I do get around 30 mpg and that was a surprise.

Just picked up a 2000 A4 with a 1.8T and 5spd and only 85K. Love both of these cars but the new one had been ridden hard and put away wet. I have done the front end (front wheel bearings, control arm kit, struts, breaks, tie rod ends and I did need to replace the ABS speed sensors because they were rusted in) Total investment is still under 5K so I think I am doing OK. Much lighter in the front and has a few more ponies and the 5spd. I think this one is more fun to drive and handles the corners better. Mileage is about the same but I do tend to put my foot into it.

I do most of the work myself and found a great shop the next town over that is willing to pick up where I leave off when needed. For example: I took the knuckles off and brought them to have the bearings changed when I did the front end. They also did the alignment for me and helped me find some parts. I think that you need to be able to do some of your own maintenance and repairs and shop around for parts or these cars can burry you. When they get over 100K.