Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sooo, how's that 2.8 been holding up??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM
5th Gear
Default Sooo, how's that 2.8 been holding up??

Just wondering whattypically goes wrong with these cars. I'm looking at a '98 right now. I've always heard that the 2.8's are more reliable than the 1.8T's, but I'm reading into some stuff that's not so good about them. Please share any personal experiences if you've got any. Thanks!!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Sooo, how's that 2.8 been holding up??

well kolbs, my wonderful 12v is at 196k and running pretty strong. It needs the TB done, I have a leaking power steering rack, the EGR valve is clogged, the thermostat is going I think, and my right cat is done for.

But most of those are non engine specific issues. They are mostly because of millage. The engine itself runs well. I haven't had it compression tested but she still pulls pretty strong (for a 12v) and fires up everytime (about 3-4 turnovers), no leaks from the engine itself. All and all it is a very reliable car.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Site Moderator

2.8L engines run "forever" they don't have enough power to blow themselves up.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
5th Gear

actaully 2.8 do has the power to blow themself up. it's just that most ppl who drive the 2.8 are usually more calm (like me : ) ) yes the 2.8 run almost forever. they have problems like any other car. the only thing is the parts will cost more than say like a ford cuz audis are worth it.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear

I've only had my 30v for 4000 miles, but it's a champ. I've replaced the crankcase breather hose and the ECT sensor...I recently had the opportunity to check the car out from below when it was on a lift and from the looks of things, those two things are all that I will be replacing any time soon. It's not very fast off the line, but it's quite zippy once I get going and especially on the highway. Gas mileage kind of sucks...my aunt's Lexus SUV with a V6 gets better mileage, but at about 21 combined, it's not terrible.

I guess I should say that when I was under the car, I noticed several things had been replaced including both cats, cv joints, parts of the suspension, and some other miscellaneous things. So...there's that.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the input. I keep reading aboutABS modules failing, resulting in like $2000 repairs. Does this actually happen very often??

Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: kolbs_91

Thanks for the input. I keep reading aboutABS modules failing, resulting in like $2000 repairs. Does this actually happen very often??
Doesn't happen too often on the A4 platform, happens every day to the A6 guys though.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator

It's never happened in the lifetime of my car (I'm the 3rd owner, and am currently just over 147k miles, with all service records), and my brakes show no signs of anything bad. Other than this pain in the *** CEL I'm dealing with (cam sensor - I've been post-whoring about it lately), it's been great. I have the usual annoyances of the B5 (cruise control stalk NFG, erratic fuel gauge), but that's it. The car purrs, pulls as well as a 30v is gonna pull, and it gets me 31+mpg on the highway (that's not a typo). No complaints other than the engine has .1 liters too much displacement and is missing two turbos.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:47 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4
...and it gets me 31+mpg on the highway (that's not a typo).
Oh! Lying is a sin. I want 31+ mpg and that's the truth.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator

I **** you not, man. I couldn't believe it. The GF and I took a ride to Niagara Falls early this summer. Filled up before leaving, got all the way there, and topped off the tank right before leaving. I track my MPG every time and I thought something was wrong or that I couldn't do math anymore. Since then, I've kept track on any longer drives, and sure as hell, any highway trip I take, it's solidly over 30mpg. No AC running, windows and sunroof vented, and cruising between 70 and 75 (no CC in use), and I hit that number every time. I'm not the only one either - several of us were posting in a thread about mileage and there are a decent number of us getting those numbers. It pays to maintain your 30v

Quick Reply: Sooo, how's that 2.8 been holding up??