Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes my car is slower than normal... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 05:06 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Sometimes my car is slower than normal... Help?

I dunno, who knows... I remember my talon had an issue where this bit of linkage fell off the wastegate (I think that's what it was) and I had no boost... but that wasnt intermittant.

I dunno guys! It's wierd though. Might just get that boost/vacuum check done this weekend, where they use the smoke.....

EDIT: just thought of a perfect example! I was following my girlfriends old civic -- I know the guy that owns it now... and its a CX, with like 72 hp, and it's auto. Anyways, the guy was driving the snot out of it... and he put it down leaving a stop sign... I didn't get into it until a few hundred feet after... but I was in 3rd gear, 3500+ rpm, and couldnt catch him.

WTF is that!? lol

Old 09-24-2005, 05:16 AM
1st Gear

Take it to your local dealer. Thats what I did, when I had the exact same thing happen. They fixed it, supposedly. I havent drivien it, since I had to leave for school before they were done. They said it was a bypass valve, which upon further research, they mean diverter valve. Check that out. I had the same problem. Sometimes the turbo wouldnt spool, sometimes it would only in come on in 1st gear, and some times it would come on and off rapidly through all the gears, where if I floored it, it would feel like it was rocking back and forth.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:17 PM
5th Gear

My 710N is so new though... anybody know if 710N's are ever defective? It has like 7K miles on it, with usually light driving.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:04 PM
3rd Gear

My 710N is holding up fine with about 8,000 Kms on it ..

Old 09-24-2005, 05:19 PM
2nd Gear

Almost the same thing happend to my buddies galant vr4.....was some crazy boost leaks...to the tune of 6 leaks. Also you could have a faulty diverter vavle...unlikely, but a possibilty non-the-less. my friend fixed those leaks, now she runs like a raped ape. but you need to get a boost gauge movin man....

Old 09-25-2005, 04:37 PM
5th Gear

Galant VR-4?! SO RARE! mmm I'd love to have one of those to beat up on a rally course.

But yeah, just wanted to let everybody know that I found the leak today... got that smoke thing done -- it was the L shaped hose (1/2" diameter) coming off the intake. Had a crack on the inside of the 90 degree bend... was about 2" long. Put on some generic half inch hose, and all is well in the world! 200 hp feels good, for now... jeebus. I musta been at like 140 hp before... lol, it was sad.

Old 09-25-2005, 08:18 PM
4th Gear

How about air conditioning? Turn the Ac to Economy let the electric secondary cooling fan stop and then try.

Old 09-25-2005, 08:28 PM
5th Gear

'tis fixed, dude! -- apparently you missed my last post.

But yeah, A/C was off on all occasions anyways -- it was fairly cool out, so I've just had the windows done for the last couple weeks.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
2nd Gear

sorry to bump up an old topic, but I have a very similar problem. About 30-40% of the time my car doesnt build boost. I can hear the turbo attempting to spool but I will get to 3k rpms and the car will go as slow as can be. Then the boost will kick in sometimes and pull decently. Also sometimes the car will get jerky as it builds boost and lurch a lot until I'm under full boost.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:11 PM
4th Gear

Another post.............

Raised form the DEAD. Almost 2 years on this one. LOL.

I saw you had another post about this. Did you try the suggestions you were given to troubleshoot? Maybe just start a new thread specific to your problem.

Quick Reply: Sometimes my car is slower than normal... Help?