Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes my car is slower than normal... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 03:29 AM
5th Gear
Default Sometimes my car is slower than normal... Help?

OK this is wierd... but it's gotten to the point where I'm sure this isnt all in my head.

Sometimes my car feels like the peppy thing it should be, what with being a chipped 1.8T... no rocket, but yeah, should boot along OK. Other times, I swear I dont have a turbo... it just winds out like a 100 hp civic. I'll hit 3K~ rpm, and nothing... it just keeps creeping through the revs... othertimes I can feel the turbo spool and pull the car along...

Any idea's? I was gonna get it checked for boost leaks this weekend -- but a boost leak would be ALL THE TIME, right? Sometimes it'll feel fast... and I notice these times. Hmm. Any suggestions would be good.

Oh, and it doesnt have any CEL's, nor any stored codes.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Default RE: Sometimes my car is slower than normal... Help?

Heatsoak?

Old 09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

Bypass valve, if there is such a thing. If I remember correctly, that is what the dealer told me when my car did the very same thing.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:45 PM
5th Gear

Yeah, I thought heatsoak too, but the temp has always been within 2 or 3 degrees between each episode... I am trying to compare apples to apples...

and if by bypass valve you mean the diverter valve... my 710N has like 10 000 km on it.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:41 PM

Chris you need to hook up that boost gauge haha but the 710N is only good to 18psi from what I have heard

Old 09-23-2005, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

Hey should'nt be boosting more then 18PSI with just a TAP chip.
I know the feeling though chris .. I had it yesterday .. the car just didnt seem to be pulling as hard as usual from 3k-5k.
I dont know if it is my head or what .. [&:]

Old 09-23-2005, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Sometimes I have the same feeling too. And on top of that my freaking stage III clutch is going bad after 6 months of use. I hope I get a new one with the warranty but I still have to pay for labor. [:@]

Old 09-23-2005, 07:06 PM

O.K. This may sound really stupid, but how much gas do you have in the tank? Depending on the temp, gas will weigh 7ish pounds a gallon. If you're under a quarter tank, you're saving almost 100 pounds, which you would notice in acceleration. If you have a full tank, it may seem sluggish. Just a thought.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:21 PM
5th Gear

The gas thing isn't it... because I swear it feels as though I have no turbo. Even if I had 500 lbs of gas in my car, lol, I'd still notice when the turbo kicked in.

Sometimes it feels as though the turbo ISN'T spooling. Hard to describe... maybe it's like heatsoak, without the heat.

It's been around 20~ degrees celcius here the last little while, so that is by no means scorching hot.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:28 PM
4th Gear

Hmm, my best guess would be the weather, but i dunno if you say its been 2 or 3 degrees apart. Is your car fully warmed up? I know my doesnt make full boost till its warm. Also, extra gas doesnt make a dif, i can tell when im empty and full. Tom doesnt think weight makes a difference, but then again, this is the same kid im racing and he will have a extra 800pd, haha right tom?

Quick Reply: Sometimes my car is slower than normal... Help?