Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone stole my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 AM
1st Gear
Default someone stole my clutch

2000 a4 1.8t quattro

ok, so no one stole my clutch but...

I got my clutch rebuilt (clutch 1.0) about 3 weeks ago at this place called aspen auto clinic out here in colorado, they specialize in audi and vw and are an independently owned company. i have gone to them with all my service and repairs. anyways, i decided to get the clutch rebuilt before the spring and summer months because it was starting to go. they had to replace the flywheel because it was beyond re-machining. anyways, after about 100 miles on the new clutch (clutch 2.0 which felt great by the way) i was getting on the interstate and going into 5th gear my clutch made a funky noise and quit working. i pulled over and found to my surprise the pedal was limp. i managed somehow to get it into second and took off from there and had it towed from a gas station.

the clinic replaced the clutch for free, but had to order a new slave because the clutch plate had blown to pieces and damaged the original. they patched it (or whatever) and i drove on it (clutch 3.0 broken slave) for about a week till the new one could come in. ever since clutch 3.0 ive been noticing that i have trouble with putting the car in reverse. the shifter just doesn't want to go in, unless i can manage to push the car a few inches or feet backwards.... its like its trying to catch a gear or something. anyways when i brought the car in for the slave to be put in (clutch 3.1) i brought this up with the tech and he said 'oh you just need to put the clutch to the floor.' ..... right... because apparently i dont know how to drive a clutch.

so anyways with clutch 3.1 i drove it out of the lot and it was completely different. the pedal itself only came off the floor about 2 inches and right when it came off it would grab. it felt very much like a performance clutch. all the other clutches 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 the clutch had to come up off the floor a couple inches before it grabbed, and the pedal came up about even with the brake pedal. so anyways, i was driving around hitting all the red lights enjoying my new clutch (3.1) when all of a sudden going into 3rd gear the clutch came out... and by that i mean the pedal came all the way up like the previous clutches and now it drives like the first clutch i had. on top of that i still have issues getting the damn thing in reverse unless im rolling backwards. and believe me, my foot is to the floor.

this is my first audi and my question is, is this something i should have a dealership look at. im really getting sick of the hassle. also is it normal for a clutch pedal to suddenly shift on you and for the whole feel of the clutch to change like that with a new slave? did it need a short brake in period for the new part or something? and why would i have trouble with reverse?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Default RE: someone stole my clutch

Break in period is a gradual process. Unless u were doin 5kRPM launches at every light ur clutches engagment point shouldn't noticably change in 3 minutes. I got a funny feeling they WD-40'd the plunger on ur slave and said they replaced it. That or they aren't properly bleeding the system.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

i definitely wasn't driving outrageously fast (especially with what happened to the first re-build). i was just cruisen like normal. i suppose then that i should let a dealer have a look.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

I had the exact same thing happen to my truck (not exactly an Audi) clutch than, slave, than nothing worked right. And I had the same problems with reverse like you. The solution to my problem was that the system hadn't been bled right, also the syncro rings in my transmission had lostsome of there shape. Basically they wore down, and became mis-shaped (kinda looked like the Monopoly shaped houses.) I'd check the hydraulic system first.